What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes alata cutting

NickHubbell

It’s a trap!
I took a cutting from one of my Nepenthes alata plants on 10/8/2002. I placed the cutting in a plastic cup with rain water up to the first node of the cutting. Today, 10/15/2002, I noticed two small roots starting to grow from the side of the stem.

I am very pleased with speed at which this cutting has started to root.
smile.gif

I may end up doing this to a few more of the climbing stems.

Well, thanks for reading this...

Nick

one week thats fast. i just put n.Gracilis in a cup of rain water on 8/12/02 want to race? i'll let ya know long it takes

guys, I have yet to take a cutting of any of my plants... can you tell me, how long do you usually wait (on average) before taking a cutting? Size wise I guess, height in plant, size in pitcher... I realize that it's subjective for each type, but in general?

rampup, wait until the main stem looks brownish and hard as wood. my plant is like 2 yrs old with alot or runners

well, my Ventricosa X Maxima is about 2 years old, and has about a 6 inch woody stem... but no offshoots down there...

I wonder if I should buy some of that kiko paste or whatever, and try to force some nodes down there to activate...

I never thought about this... but will nodes activate where it has gone 'woody'?

I know it's immature... but I laugh at that... hehh hehhh... :|

If I can grow plants for cutting, anybody can.
I take two cutting for n.x.ventrata and implant those in sphagnum moss. I wait for 3-4 weeks and whats happened=both cuts has grown roots.
I know that n.x.ventrata is easy to grow for cutting and many others species are very to grow but still I win this time..(I had little luck).

Alata is very easy to root. I took cuttings of ventricosa, khasiana and alata, the alata is by far the most "productive" of the bunch. I have one cutting that has produced a 1.5" pitcher, while all the other cuttings have yet to show any signs of wanting to grow any pitchers.

RamPuppy cuttings are easy to take and depending on the desired out come of the the plant which you cut and the cutting there is no rule of thumb on the on a good time to cut. If you have a good sized plant that has about 1 cm between each leaf then depending on the plant the cutting should take root and the cut plant should recover quickly even if it has only one growing point. There are other ways to take Nep cuttings that would increase the chances of survival of the cutting. A 6 in woody stem with about 1 cm between each leaf should work perfectly for a cutting. At one point I was wondering the same thing (If nodes will activate where it is woody) and the answer is yes. If photoclub or whatever worked i would show you my N. gracilis with just that happening. If you are growing your N. ventricosa x maxima in fair conditions then it should make a full recovery with multiple growing points. Nepenthes are harder to kill then most people think.

Hey Virus, thanks!

In return for your kind advice, I will tell you to ditch photoclubs...

www.netfirms.com will provide you with 20 MB of web space for free if you sign up as a business (which is no big deal, they don't verify.)

for instance, I have signed up under http://rampuppy.netfirms.com and as soon as I get cracking, a web page will be ther...

I use it to store all my photos that I link to here... it's a great little resource.

It has been over three months, and my ventricosa x maxima cuttings have produced plenty of roots, but no leaves. The dormant nodes haven't even begun to grow.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (nathaniel @ Oct. 16 2002,7:17)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It has been over three months, and my ventricosa x maxima cuttings have produced plenty of roots, but no leaves.  The dormant nodes haven't even begun to grow.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
I don't feel so bad now.   My N. vetricosa has been sitting in water for two months now with no roots.  It's produced a couple of small leaves with what might turn into pitchers on the end, but no roots.

I took a cutting of my xVentrata a little while ago and was surprised by how fast it took root. It's my first cutting so I was dead chuffed that it worked out okay
smile.gif

If your cutting has lots of roots but no leave it is time to transplant it and give it LOTS more light, move it in with mature plant in your main growing area. My Ventricosa cutting has rooted and produce 2 leaves from 1 dormant bud and one leave already looks like a pitcher will form. It does take while apporx: 1 month to get a cutting this far but with species liek Gracilis it may be a littl as half a month!
smile.gif
Also On the brown stem thing there, I cut my Ventrata and now the 8 inch brown woody stem has 2-3 growing point emerging from it taking from August from now to be visable. So it take's a long while for the green point to emerge on the brown stem.

There was discussion of using kiki paste here a while back, to get plants to activate dormant buds... has anyone tried this yet?

The guy I got that ventricosa x maxima cutting from uses it. I think he put some on the nodes of my cutting, but if thats the case, then I don't know if it's all that great
confused.gif

well, my understanding is that you put it in a ring around the plants stalk. The growth tip, or growing tips, secrete a hormone that travels down the plant, and the roots secrete one that goes 'up'.

The Kikki paste supposedly mimics one of these hormones, I don't know which, and tells the dormant node below to start poppin new cells out and going for the gold... so if he just slathered it on the nodes, I am not sure it would do much good.

Back