What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"cobra pitcher plant" nep...

what's the name of those neps tey sell in the stores as "cobra pitcer plants".  it's definatally a nep.  they come from somewhere in canada.  anyone know?  thanks.

pace,
technoracer

Are you sure your not thinking of Darlingtonia?
Tony

Techno, I'm sure you're thinking of Darlingtonia, they do come from a more temperate climate than Nepenthes (SE Asia) but not Canada.
Darlingtonia are found in a very small range between northernmost California and southernmost Oregon, usually higher on mountain altitudes.
Darlingtonia do not form a vine that has leaves with pitchers hanging off the end like Nepenthes but form a rosette of pitchers with little forked apendages sticking out of the front. Sometimes the apendages that stick out are colored red if the plants are grown in brighter light.
Darlingtonias need a winter dormancy (mine are "sleeping" in the fridge right now) Nepenthes don't need dormancy they grow year round as tropical perrenials, most would probably be killed by a dormancy.
If what you saw was a small vine with tiny pitchers hanging off leaves but called "cobra pitcher plant" then what you saw was simply mislabeled and is not a big surprise when you consider that I've boughten the follwing at local nurseries:
"Sundew" actually a Nepenthes Judith Finn hybrid
"Butterwort" actually N. Judith Finn hybrid
"Nepenthes Coccinea" actually N. Velvet
"Nepenthes Coccinea" actually a similar hybrid but not totally the same.
"Purple Pitcher plant" actually a Nepenthes ampullaria

Both types of plants are fun to grow but definately require vastly different cultivation techniques.

No, its a nep. It just has that label. It says Cobra Plant (Nepenthes)... That same tag in in a S. purpurea, and I"ve heard, VFTs too...

The one I got is ventricosa, almost for sure.

I emailed the company that supplies those nep's in Canada (colasanti farms if you read the back of the label) and it is Ventricosa.

i just checked, the company that supplies them is, indeed, colasanti farms.  you emailed them?  i should have thought of that...  it's defianetly a nep.  my s.purpurea had the same tag in it when i bought it back in september. thanks seedling, that's what i needed.

swords,
you said that you have purchased two n. coccinea that were actually mislabled.  could you explain the differences between the 3 to me?  i bought a n.coccinea about a month ago.  according to the tag, it came from deroose plants".

thanks everyone!

peace,
technoracer

My plants may have come from tropiflora plants I'm not sure but here are the plants which all came with the same tag:

N. 'Velvet' (as far as I can tell) when compared to mixta (my original guess) this one is longer and more "bannana shaped" and not even a hybrid related to N Coccinea!:

unknownp602.jpg

here is what may be N. Morganiana as shown in savage garden or any number of crosses involving the species which compromise N. coccinea. This is a hybrid related to Coccinea (involving all the same species) but not showing the textbook coccinea charachteristics (which I consider looking like a tube of hot pink lipstick):
N.Xmorg-p.jpg

And here's my "real" N Coccinea, notice the slender pitcher shape and solid bright red flush. Leaves of this fellow also turn pinkish yellow in bright light. and pitchers are hardier than the one shown immediately above which do not last and are very thin walled):
Ncoccineapit1.jpg

hope that helped some!

This is what my N. coccinea looks like...

N_coccinea4_web.jpg

very cool. thanks! once my n.coccinea gets settled in, i'll know what to look for.

thanks again everyone!

peace,
technoracer

Back