What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newbie to nepenthes

I'm pretty new at this so I'd like some advice from experienced growers. I'm really interested in getting a nepenthes, especially one that is more tolerant than others to temperature. I'm also looking for one that won't get too big on my, for my space is limited.

Thanks!

Welcome to the forums!
smile.gif

My species that I would pick outthat would be superb beginning plants would be the following:

N. truncata- a large grower after quite some time but relatively small when young and slow growing. Can tolerate low humidity but does best with 60% and higher humidity.

N. sanguniea- nice easy plant, appreaciates a terrarium

N. khasiana- extremely adaptable plant, excellent on the windowsill.

N. ventricosa- very adapable but appreaciates a little bit of misting and decent humidity, 50% and more.

N. alata- easy species requiring a terrarium for good pitcher production.

N. x ventrata- natural hybrid, N. alata x N. ventricosa, it is very adaptable like N. khasiana

N. gracilis- good for a very humid and warm (70F and more) terrarium.

N. rafflesiana- also good for a sealed terrarium and like N. gracilis, it appreaciates warm and nice humid conditions.

N. gracilis, N. rafflesiana, and N. ventricosa are available from this site also, just go to thier online catalog and go to nepenthes.

Good growing!
wink.gif

From what I know most all neps can get a decent size, meaning rather large cups. As far as tolerance to heat goes there arent many that have large ranges in heat and cold.

Trapsrock, there are many that are heat tollerant. lowland nepenthes.
and many are cold tollerant. They are called Highland Nepenthes.

Nepenthes ventrincosa, Nepenthes alata, and Nepenthes ventrata are good highllanders that don't get too big Nepenthes gracilis, Nepenthes ampularria, Nepenthes rafflesiana, and Nepenthes alata are good lowlanders that don't get too big.
Nepenthes alata is sometimes considered lowland and highland. (you can keep it in cool or warm conditions)

I wouldn't recommand a N. gracilis it is more of a viny growing plant, everything that everyone put down is good I would also add. N. madagascariensis slow growing and pitchers are fire enginee red when the open up, and good for a windowsill.N. sanguinea, N. maxima, N. khasiana, N. ventricosa.
biggrin.gif

In my experience, you can treat all the plants that Nep g pointed out as lowlanders. I have N sanguinea, N khasiana, N ventricosa "red", N alata "red spotted", and other supposedly highland neps growing outdoors with my lowlanders and they are all doing fine. They might not grow quite as fast as they should, but they grow fast enough for me at least. That's not to say that you shouldn't try to mimic a plant's natural habitat as much as you can, it's just that they're much more adaptable than most people think they are.

MHO

Jœl

I have a Ventricosa, they seem pritty tuff, and you can hack parts off to keep it from overgrowing so I'm told

I like my ventricosa. Although the pitchers have been dieing lately
confused.gif
and getting a little bit to big for my tank. I will start misting it with disdilled water...see if that works.

Back