What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes edwardsiana

I've been looking for a specimen of this species for a long time, and would be most
grateful if anyone can tell me where I might find one. Feel free to contact me
privately if you wish.

BTW, am looking for the *real* edwardsiana, *not* N. edwardsiana ssp. macrophylla.
Am aware of the tremendous rarity of this species, and offer assurance that it will be
well cared for.

From what I have heard Edwardsiana is not even in captivity yet except for a few poachers probably, but it hasn't entered TC yet so no I think we all will have to wait for this species for a while.
sad.gif
I have been on the search for it too and still am but keep your hopes up and you head high and soon maby it will enter cultivation.
smile.gif

Well, maybe you should try Malesiana Tropicals. There is a picture form their nursery a japanese visitors group took, at the bottom of this page:

http://isweb18.infoseek.co.jp/photo/jcps/farm.htm

The plant does not look like the N. macrophylla clones beeing around here in Germany so it may be the real one.

Joachim

(Also looking for this species but being reasonable and waiting for TC-plants...)

Joachim,

Please do not think me unreasonable for merely posting an enquiry.
I am an ethical person and do not condone the collection of anything other
than seeds from the wild, and even that only in very small quantities for TC
propagation. I am perfectly content to wait until this species is available from
tissue culture, and am merely trying to see if any such sources for this plant exist,
other than MT (which apparently has it but has met with very limited success in its
propagation). Perhaps I should have worded my posting a bit more clearly....

In any case, thanks for the link to the photos; I had not seen them previously.
FYI, the plant shown is indeed edwardsiana; it is a specimen collected by staff
at MT.

I don't think anyone thought you were unreasonable neps!
smile.gif

Jeff,

sorry, I didn't want to offense you and of course I didn't meant what you did read: I would be very happy if you would grow this species, because you are obviously able to get it to flowering size and be able to bring it safe into cultivation. I for my part couldn't state this under my conditions and so I wait for this plant entering TC.

Loosing a plant from TC is bad for the grower but the genetical material isn't lost. Loosing a plant collected from the wild or also a seed grown plant is a whole other thing. It can't be replaced, it is finally lost and the genetical material may be of big worth for succeeding generations of this species (N. clipeata may stand as example for this).

From my point of view rare plants collected from the wild and also seed of rare plants should only go to those people whom are able to propagate them successfully. Propagation and then spreading them is the only way to avoid further collecting plants from the wild.

Luckily enough most known Nepenthes have entered TC right now but what happens with tuberous drosera is just worrying to me.

Joachim

Back