What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Poached neps on ebay

This is some bad news right here:

http://cgi.aol.ebay.com/ws....ry=1138

At first I thought wow what a neat idea for a collectible for those unable to care for Neps until I read that these feature "only the best pitchers are picked from plants in the wild" as it states in the add!!! You can bet the whole plant is going with the pitchers as they are "picked".

Ya know I was kicked off Ebay for selling a Charles Manson record album, it seems there's something far more "evil" being sold on Ebay!

Charles Manson has an Album? I'm intrigued. Is it spoken word or music? Is it on a major label? What an interesting piece of history. I sure hope he did'nt make any money!

Sorry for the off topic post.

I'm back on topic now. I don't know much about e-bay but if they have a complaint department, I'm sure the subscribers from this sight could flood them with complaints and maybe have the nep sale stoped.

I could not find this one. The link did not work for me and I tried "Nepenthes, carnivorous plant, singular and plural to no avail. Where do I find this one?

Joe

Hmm maybe someone else complained before me and they took down the page? Type in "pitcher plant" and you should see it there was 3 or 4 of them up for buy it now. I wouldn't have a problem with this product if the pitchers were taken off from cultivated plants. I would have even boughten one but not knowing that they were taken off from wild plants.

off topic response for Glenn:
The Manson album I tried to sell is called "Lie" and is really terrible folk music! It was recorded years before he became famous for what he became famous for. It's been re-released (probably bootlegged meaning no money went to him) several times over the decades as a strange collectors item.

Actually, there are two very specific problems here. First,
your link does not work because you messed up the URL to which it refers when you created it.

Secondly, you're making an erroneous assumption:
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">You can bet the whole plant is going with the pitchers as they are "picked". [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

How do you know this? Have you asked the seller? While it is good to be environmentally conscious, one should also try to be circumspect in assessing the behavior of others.

Having corresponded quite some time ago with the people who make the products to which you refer, I can tell you that the pitchers are commercially grown for this purpose, in a greenhouse. Furthermore, the plants are not destroyed, since such an act would immediately limit the ability of the manufacturer to produce his product.

Please be careful about making assumptions!

neps,
who int he world would sell nepenthes pitchers clipped from the plant? it's like selling a rose on ebay, probably would die in transit...
confused.gif

Jeff I'm sorry if I offended you or your friend but if these plants are greenhouse grown the ad should really say that and not (cut and paste):

"Designed with a unique shape and a fossil like look, it is embedded with a real miniature PITCHER PLANT which are specially collected in the wild."

I'm not knocking the product at all, as I said it looks neat and I would like one of each but the collected in the wild thing bothered me and made me appalled when I read it.

Okay, I still couldn't find it but I know what we are talking about now.
Jeff's done the legwork on these people already, and I have seen this product first hand. This company does have a mistake, and that is in marketing. These are beautifully preserved pitchers in lucite or something similar, and we should all have one of these. I have never seen a preserved pitcher looking better than the one I saw.

Regards,

Joe

I'm afraid I have to agree with swords on this one... regardless of my wanting one or not, the statement that they were "collected in the wild", has just assured that I will never purchase anything from them, weither the statement was true or not, simply because it tells me that they are irresponsible and willing to say anything to make a buck... IMO it is one very small step from saying anything to doing anything.

Hello,

As stated in the identical topic under general discussions, I would be posting a responce to my request for more information on the Nepenthes in resin.

"Hello,
Thank you for your enquiry. The pitcher plant is a Nepenthes sp. If you
need to know the exact specie name I would need to check it up for you.
This specie of pitcher plant are found in abundance and they grow wildly in
highland forest of elevation of 5500 ft above sea level. These "monkey
cups" are havested fresh from the pitcher plants and kept in refrigeration
before being "moulded" with resin. Hope the information is useful. Till we
speak, have a nice day."

Josh,

I take no offense, and only wish to point out that even if pitchers are being harvested from wild plants, the plants themselves are not likely being destroyed. Moreover, I was told by the people producing this product that the pitchers they use were from greenhouse grown specimens. However, I certainly cannot confirm this.

I wish to add that while I am very much in favor of protecting our planet's environment, it might be worthwhile to consider that harvesting a few pitchers (assuming that the plants are quite well represented at the collection site) may not be as deleterious as one would think. Certainly, this activity is not likely to have an impact anything like the simple deforestation currently occuring on a daily basis in that part of the world. In fact, making more people aware of the existence of Nepenthes, through this (or other) means, may ultimately help to prevent the extinction of the genus.

In any case, I do commend you (and others) for your integrity and awareness of environmental issues. It's good to know that there are folks out there who care!

If someone makes money by removing some pitchers and creating lucite paperweights with them, it's far more benign than what is usually done to tropical forest. But not if they're taking plants, stripping off pitchers, and leaving plants to die. Unfortunately, that would be the cheapest way to do it and cheapest is what drives commerce.

I also asked yesterday and got this response, for what it's worth.
I guess that would explain why I always see N. macfarlanei as the example(though I was thinking N. sanguinea was more common).

Regards,

Joe

Hello Joe,
Thank you for your e-mail. Yes, these Nephentes sp are found in abundance
in the wild in the mountain region of Genting Highlands, Pahang (elevation
of 5500 feet) . In Malaysia we don't have to grow them in greenhouses as
the tropical climate is condusive for growth of these tropical plants. Hope
the information is useful.

Regards.........William T

Back