What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Metal halide wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just checked, there's nothing on the ballast that mentions Amperage or Volts or anything at all except a label that says Hamilton Technologies and a warning sticker about turning it off before you reach into your aquarium.

Here's another question, how hot do ballasts run? Are they just warm like a flourescent ballast or way hotter? Since this is the lowland tank a little heat from the ballast and bulb will give me a higher temp (currently it's only 75*Fd/70*Fn) and the old terrarium was 20*F hotter (and twice as bright) during the day and the plants loved it, oozing with nectar. Now no nectar and the latest pitchers are slightly less impressive as compared to the furious growth they had just days before moving them.

Joachim Danz you are confusing a MH with an HPS, and only a 1000w HPS uses a 4.5kv pulse to ignite the lamp
400w HPS use a 2.5kv pulse.
Hes got a 400w MH which only needs an open current of 600v.

Peace  
wink.gif

Hi Khai,

you should offer your knowledge to those designing MH lamps and electronics for those lamps here in Europe! The guys from Philips and others doesn't seem to know the facts and build ignition circuits for 70W MH lamps producing 4-5kV ignition pulses...

Joachim

P.S.: Current is measured in Ampere and voltage is measured in Volt!

Yes Ive seen that and its is only in reference to pulse start!
As you will notice the header at the begining of the paragraph,"Pulse-start Technology"!
Also the title of the article is "Metal Halide - Advances & Improvements".
"By David Houghton, PE, Contributing Editor, Architectural Lighting Magazine"
Where does it say anything about these RECENT technologies be used in Agriculture?

http://tristate.apogee.net/lite/lhiigni.asp
Hope this helps!

OK, last try - I do dislike this discussion! This is the datasheet of the MH lamp I'm running for my Nepenthes:

http://www.blv-licht.de/images/BLVMedia0018305.PDF

Of course the manufacturer could be wrong demanding these ignition voltages for his products.

It is no problem you don't know all and you'll propably know that not all information on the internet is true - but persisting on wrong information is somewhat strange to me. The site mentioned above explains how these lamps work.

Joachim (won't reply again in this thread...)

Is there really a point to arguing whether or not a HID lamp takes 2.5kv or 4kv to light?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back