What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Safe adhesive?

I have decided to change the look of my terrarium again, and want to fashion an environment for the neps by gluing pumice stones together. It will look pretty cool, I think, but it will require a lot of glue.

What adhesive would provide the long-term holding power I need without outgassing the plants to death? I am a little wary of using epoxy for this reason. Silicone, while safer, will not hold long-term.

Any experience with adhesives in terraria that you can share?

Any help you might have is appreciated. Thanks again.

Steve

I think you will have trouble with any type of glue simply because it is the pumice that will break away regardless of what is stuck to it..

You might consider drilling holes and connecting the pieces with small diameter pvc pipe or something similar.
Tony

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tony Paroubek @ Mar. 24 2003,5:50)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I think you will have trouble with any type of glue simply because it is the pumice that will break away regardless of what is stuck to it..

You might consider drilling holes and connecting the pieces with small diameter pvc pipe or something similar.  
Tony[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Thanks, Tony.

I should have been clearer--I will be using a series of posts to hold the stones together.  Glue, however, is still an issue for post-rock contact.

I now have a band name--The Post-Rock Contact!

Steve

Liquid Nails.

nuff said.
wink.gif

What about some kind of adhesive that is like.... Liquified plastic... That will solidify into a plastic, you know? Because of something to do with chemistry, like plastic is made of oil (I failed chem), the water won't dissolve the glue.

I vote for hot glue sticks!

Back