What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Early opening lids on neps - potential solution

Hi all,

I've had a problem with my neps (particularly a ventricosa red sitting on my desk) opening their lids early, causing a malformed tiny lid to a normal pitcher. Humidity is about 60-80 percent, and I have the required temperature drops at night. I've tried spraying the plant everyday, I've tried trays of water, I've even kept the forming pitchers in the shade and away from the sun. I've had few successes, and most of my pitchers still are deformed.

Recently I tried a last-ditch effort: I stuck some wet toilet paper over the hole between the opening lid and lip. Left it there for a few days, and when I uncovered it today, the pitcher and lid had grown together again, so the hole had sealed itself up.

Anyway, if anyone else has this problem, please try this out and let me know if it works. I don't know if it was a fluke or what. It does seem that as my ventricosa gets older it makes better pitchers, but as I said, this could be a fluke.

My neps did this when i first moved them from the terrarium to the windowsill, but the more recent pitchers have been properly formed. Are you sure there aren't large temperature or humidity fluctuations that are keeping the plants permanently shocked?

This has been a problem with my neps at the office for a while, and I honestly didn't even think about any type of solution to it....

What I do know, is that six months later, the problem seems to have more or less solved itself as the plant adapted, though, pitcher size remains small. (maybe a sixth of what it was when I brought the plant in)

It seems happy, started pitchering for the firt time in 6 months last month, and now, my contract is less than a month from finishing and I have to move them again... well, here is hoping they are nice and hardened off by now. I am thinking about putting the ventricosa outside...

cross fingers.

Humidity's pretty constant, and temperature varies but I live in lowland conditions (in a desert no less&#33
wink.gif
It's a very odd plant, the rest of my neps are in a tank under growlights but the tank lid is open - and they grow fairly normally. So the only difference should be the amount of sunlight. Ah well, it only gets about 4 hours of that. Not much I can do, more tends to burn it. Perhaps as it ages it'll get better. Summer is here, so I did expect more lid problems.

Ram, I think a lot of the pitchering size and lid problems come from the age of the plant. I got mine at pft about a year and a half ago. It's been pitchering for most of it, and the pitchers gradually get larger, colorful, and shapely with age. Mine weren't even full red until a couple of months ago.
wink.gif
I didn't do anything differently, either. Same pot, same fungus gnats around, same window. I do notice that I have a lot more leaves than most ventricosas of this age, currently a monstrous 26. Crazy thing...hope your work one does well. I've been wanting one in the office myself (this is on a desk at home) but I don't get any sunlight in there. All I can grow is p.primuliflora. Not even capensis!

Back