Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Stupid cats

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh I totally agree with you Augustin. I've wanted a pet snake for the longest time, but everyone I meet gives me the typical "ew, snakes are so slimy and gross" reaction. Beauty's in the eye of the beholder, I suppose, I'm sure some people out there are sentimentally attached to cockroaches and mosquitoes.

Absolutely right, both plants and animals should be respected, and CPs exist to catch animals. But my point is that a kitten in a pitcher isn't an accident at all, I've never heard of any pitcher plants catching anything larger than a rat. Which would be my objection to anyone deliberately putting a cat in a pitcher.

Anyway, sorry for going off-topic on this

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Iinteraction" has a lot more to do with emotional attachment to a pet than cuteness; just as interaction plays a role in emotional attachment between human beings. Probably the majority of people would develop more attachment to a dog than a hermit crab.

"but there is no reason to let a dog or cat destroy it"
    Key word..."let"...allow. I don't think too many people deliberately "let" pets destroy their plants. Its usually an accident resulting from not enough care to keep a plant safely protected. And its not like a pet says "I don't respect this because it is plant life and not a mammal, so I am going to chew this leaf to pieces." Pets act as their nature dictates (curious, playful and..."chew-ful"?), having meager understanding of our human values of right and wrong behavior.

I love and respect my plants. I keep them away from my dog. And the fact that I love my dog more than a plant is pretty normal I think. I get upset and disappointed when a plant dies but I'm not going to cry and wail over it. I'll go get another one.

And I'm sure some small mammals fall into large pitchers by accident on occasion. That's ol' Mother Nature at work. Kitten in a pitcher isn't Mother Nature that's for sure. But don't worry too much...I would bet the photo is digitally created. Its easy to do...I can do that.

Uh....Augustin...I would guess you don't have any pets?

Suzanne

"Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes Suzanne:

I used to have 9 cats. I never had dogs. But if i had cats again, i would not have plants!!. If i have both. I would definitely, make sure that they don't destroy my plants. I guess each one of us has different priorities and these must be respected.

Agustin

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had both cats and dogs...love them both. And of course you are right...everyone has different opinions and preferences. That's what makes the world go 'round. I just think pets and plants aren't mutually exclusive. They can both grow happily and safely side by side. Accidents do happen--but you have just as much a chance of yourself knocking over a shelf or plant and damaging it as you do a pet doing it. Other than the squirrels outside, I've never suffered any plant problems from a pet. I like having both...its nice to enjoy both plant world and the animal world. Couldn't live without either.

Suzanne
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234