What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stupid cats

Also I'm quite certain that cat was only in there long enough to take the photo. It's not like the cat is stuck and getting slowly eaten rear-end first....yikes! what a way to go!

Well, I'll admit with no shame, as much as I love all my plants, I can't put the plants on the same level as a pet.  I would certainly be very upset if my pet (currently a dog) damaged or killed a plant, especially a rare or favorite one, but...geezz...a plant can be replaced.  A pet is a unique creature with feelings and personality...each is one of a kind.

The love most people feel for a pet isn't the same as the love you have for a hobby.  Its (usually) an emotional love.  Most pets become family members.  I would no sooner hurt or get rid of a pet for damaging a plant than I would a child for doing the same.  They are, after all, animals who don't understand human behavior like growing plants.  So don't expect them to KNOW "hey my master reaaaally loves this plant...better not eat it."

And in my opinion, anyone who thinks more of a plant than a living, breathing, feeling animal, shouldn't have pets to begin with.  They require care and love.  They aren't inanimate, unfeelings objects like a plant. There are too many uncared for, abused pets as it is.  Cats and dogs both chew on things and knock things over.  Its the owners responsibility to make sure the plants are safe...not the pet's.  And...accidents will happen.  Its fine if you value your plants more than a pet...just don't have pets then.  
smile.gif

So, no I don't care too much for roaches and rats, but neither do I love them the way I do my dog.  A roach or rat isn't something I've reared, loved, cared for and played with for the last 11 1/2 years nor has a creature like that returned the love and devotion ten-fold.

Would I get P.O.'ed if my dog destroyed a plant?  Sure.  But I'd trade any plant I have for as much time with my dog as I could possibly get.

OK...I'll step off my soapbox now.  Sorry...I am an animal lover as well as a plant lover and I just can't compare a pet to a plant.  I'll move or shield a plant in danger...a pretty easy thing to do.

If you  can't handle an occasional pet-related plant disaster...don't have a pet.  
wink.gif

OH...and Elgecko, I AM truly sorry to hear about your plants. And Andenes...CUTE dog! What a sweetie.

Suzanne  
confused.gif

(sorry...not a great day here)

Augustin,
I imagine it's because rats and roaches are usually pests that people do not grow sentimentally attached to, whereas cute puppies and kittens are a wholly different matter.

I wouldn't feel sorry for my pet if it destroyed my plants, certainly I'd be annoyed with it, but I wouldn't chuck it into one of my neps' pitchers. That's what I feel sorry about.

Don't get me wrong, I liked the photo, but I did think it was a bit mean to the poor kitten, is all I'm saying.

Yes, I agree with the fact that because dogs and cats are cute people grow attached to them. but then, isn't it a type of discrimination against not so good looking animals??

It is just the interaction between animals and humans what makes us feel more for animals, but then, respect plants too, because they are as living as you are, if they don't move or caress you back, but there is no reason to let a dog or cat destroy it. for me both animals and plants should be respected. If a cat destroys a plant by accident, would not a giant cp eat a rodent or a mammal by accident too??. tHis goes both ways, not just one.

Agustin

Oh I totally agree with you Augustin. I've wanted a pet snake for the longest time, but everyone I meet gives me the typical "ew, snakes are so slimy and gross" reaction. Beauty's in the eye of the beholder, I suppose, I'm sure some people out there are sentimentally attached to cockroaches and mosquitoes.

Absolutely right, both plants and animals should be respected, and CPs exist to catch animals. But my point is that a kitten in a pitcher isn't an accident at all, I've never heard of any pitcher plants catching anything larger than a rat. Which would be my objection to anyone deliberately putting a cat in a pitcher.

Anyway, sorry for going off-topic on this
smile.gif

"Iinteraction" has a lot more to do with emotional attachment to a pet than cuteness; just as interaction plays a role in emotional attachment between human beings.  Probably the majority of people would develop more attachment to a dog than a hermit crab.

"but there is no reason to let a dog or cat destroy it"
Key word..."let"...allow.  I don't think too many people deliberately "let" pets destroy their plants.  Its usually an accident resulting from not enough care to keep a plant safely protected.  And its not like a pet says "I don't respect this because it is plant life and not a mammal, so I am going to chew this leaf to pieces."  Pets act as their nature dictates (curious, playful and..."chew-ful"?), having meager understanding of our human values of right and wrong behavior.

I love and respect my plants.  I keep them away from my dog.  And the fact that I love my dog more than a plant is pretty normal I think.  I get upset and disappointed when a plant dies but I'm not going to cry and wail over it.  I'll go get another one.

And I'm sure some small mammals fall into large pitchers by accident on occasion.  That's ol' Mother Nature at work.  Kitten in a pitcher isn't Mother Nature that's for sure.   But don't worry too much...I would bet the photo is digitally created.  Its easy to do...I can do that.

Uh....Augustin...I would guess you don't have any pets?  
rolleyes.gif

smile.gif

Suzanne

Yes Suzanne:

I used to have 9 cats. I never had dogs. But if i had cats again, i would not have plants!!. If i have both. I would definitely, make sure that they don't destroy my plants. I guess each one of us has different priorities and these must be respected.

Agustin

I've had both cats and dogs...love them both.
smile.gif
And of course you are right...everyone has different opinions and preferences. That's what makes the world go 'round. I just think pets and plants aren't mutually exclusive. They can both grow happily and safely side by side. Accidents do happen--but you have just as much a chance of yourself knocking over a shelf or plant and damaging it as you do a pet doing it. Other than the squirrels outside, I've never suffered any plant problems from a pet. I like having both...its nice to enjoy both plant world and the animal world.
smile.gif
Couldn't live without either.

Suzanne

Back