What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cracked Pitcher

I feed my pitcher plant a carpenter ant with some tweezers and I cracked
wow.gif
a mature pitcher.  I am not sure if the pitcher will survive. As the crack on the pitcher goes a quarter of the way down not quite half.  So I took some dental floss and tied it together (like the Karate Kid movie were they tie the Bonsai Tree when it cracked) in hopes it will look some what normal.  Any ideas on how to fix a cracked pitcher on a pitcher plant (it happened to my N. ventricosa)? Or is the pitcher going to die?
confused.gif

Thanks,
Travis

my bical hada cracked pitcher when i got it, wel not cracked but had a hole on the bottom, and i just let it be, and it died, but its growing pretty fast (the plant)

Not much you can really do at this point. The crack will probably shorten the lifespan of the pitcher, but the plant will continue to produce new ones. These things happen...

heh, i have had thta happen many a time! I cracked my N.Truncata pitcher a LONG time back when it made a nice one. I was really mad but surprozingly it healed itself up and it was fine! It mended together like fibers then sealed over like a scar. I wouldn't worry about it, you'll probably lose it but no worries a new one is on it's way to replce it.
wink.gif

It's a bummer it may die early but my plant is healthy. Looks like it will have a replacement soon followed by other new ones.

Just out of curiosity Nep.G how did you mend yours together? As I used dental floss.

Thanks Everyone,
travis

I think the plant healed itself, Travis.

Ya, that is what I hoping will happen. I am feeding the cracker pitcher at least before it dies. Then at least when it dies it will have killed some thing without dieing and killing nothing.
wink.gif
Mine as well get some thing out it.

travis

I am not sure, it sorta just glued itself back together ith the ripped fibers of the pitcher wall.

Just continue feeding it until the pitcher dies. This happened to me once when I had N. Mirbilis.

Back