What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

There's a fungus amungus

I purchased a N. ampullaria from a mailorder nursery (not Tony-so maybe it's karma?  
wink.gif
) anyway, it's got this grey fungus that's growing amongst the basal pitchers. I pluck it off with forceps when I can and I gave my tank a but more air circulation but is this the best I can do (naturally) to eliminate it? I would consider putting the plant in the open air (outside) but it's just been potted and I fear for it's life from their despicable way of uprooting and mailing plants (all my sundews they sent are completly toast and the pings are going down fast...).

Any tips on saving it (the ampullaria I mean)?

Give it what it wants (i. e. good water and the right medium) and maybe a shot of Superthrive (1 drop per gallon of water). Then give it some time... if it's not dying, that's a good thing.
smile.gif

Send it back maybe. Sometimes fungus devlops during shipping because the humidity is 100% and the box can get hot inside. (if you don't want to send it back)You can always take a Q-tip soaked in rubbing alcohol and rub it around the infected area.

Does the fungus appear to be attacking the plant? If so trim off any discolored areas. You might try dusting the infected areas lightly with powdered cinnamon. Orchid growers have been using it for years to halt fungus.
Tony

I vote for the cinnamon also, have found it to work on other plants (although none were CP's). I've also use chamomile tea (I'd try that before the rubbing alchol, but same concept use a q-tip) Good luck.

Humidiity was very high  because this company washed the roots clean of any soil and wrapped the roots in wet kleenex. I will try the cinnimon and then if it doesn't work I'll try the rubbing alchohol.

Thanks folks!

Wet klenex!!?? Jeez! What are people coming to these days!
mad.gif

I see no reason for the plants to be bare rooted in this manner. Tony's method of shipping the rootball intact with it's immediate soil seems to be the logical way of doing it so I assumed everyone did it this way.... I think of my whole order I may only be able to save the N. gracilis and one D. intermedia. Possibly the N ampullaria. Perhaps this is why the company sent extras, in hopes one of each would live... I'm not gonna be a repeat customer at least, not by mail which is too bad because I wanted to buy all the "koto" series of Nep hybrids they have available...

What nursery did you order from.(PM me if you want)

Back