What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

clumping nepenthes

Hi,

I always hear about clumping nepenthes. can they clump? And if they do, which species
biggrin.gif
clump? and how do you do it? thanks
smile.gif

well, nepenthes clump in tc I have heard (it's the whole way they are produced, leave one plant in culture, and you get hundreds)

Clumping is something I think you just have to wait on...

ways you could possibly speed it up are layering the plant, essentially bending it down to the soil, and covering a dormant node with soil, and repeat as neccessary, never taking clipings...

cliping also forces dormant nodes to activate, this could COULD start a clumping effect, but I think it would take a long time, I think Cindy, or maybe someone else was experimenting with this...

and finally, you could use kiko paste (I think that is the right name) that inhibits the flow of a hormone, and causes the plant to start branching out.

If you were to pinch off the new pitcher buds,or growing points, or whatever the're called, would that make a nep. branch?
smile.gif
Thanks
smile.gif

biggrin.gif
Spectabilis73
biggrin.gif

The only Nepenthes that I know are a clumping plant are Ampullaria and perhaps N.Gracilis. Ampullaria readily sends up basal shoots/rosettes/pitchers and will make a huge mass of them in a few months. Gracilis is pretty viney and I guess you could say clumpy. And I guess you could also include N.Tobaica for a large tangling mass of leave/vines/multiple gorwing points and pitchers!

Pinching off new pitchers will do nothing except make no pitcher on that leave. Pinching the gorwing point will also do not much of anything expcet make another growing point MAYBE two if your lucky. But grab the Neps that are known to clump rather than try to get one to do so. So go with Ampullaria as #1 clumping Nep Gracilis #2 and Tobiaca as #3 as it is just a mess once it get's growing!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Spectabilis73 @ Sep. 26 2002,7:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If you were to pinch off the new pitcher buds,or growing points, or whatever the're called, would that make a nep. branch?
smile.gif
Thanks
smile.gif

biggrin.gif
 Spectabilis73
biggrin.gif
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
try nicking the growing tip to get the secondary points to split.  Thats a trait all angeiosperms (sp?) have and it has to do with coevolution with insects
smile.gif
Yup, insects nibble the bud first telling the plant they are their so the plant makes extra leves for the bugs so they don't get eaten to death and the insects warn the plant so they don't overeat and starve.

Pinching off the pitcher 'bud' actually does do sumthing. It makes the next one a bit bigger... Ppl who grow them for show sumtimes do that to get an extrap big pitcher to be judged...

Stefano, I have found the pitcher bud removal trick to be nothing more but a trick! I have only had good results on a N.Merrilliana which the next pitcher was a little bit larger. But all in all I have found that it shows little or no results. The onyl thing that is gonna make your pitcher larger is growing a plant bigger and healthier.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Darcie @ Sep. 27 2002,12:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Spectabilis73 @ Sep. 26 2002,7:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If you were to pinch off the new pitcher buds,or growing points, or whatever the're called, would that make a nep. branch?
smile.gif
Thanks
smile.gif

biggrin.gif
 Spectabilis73
biggrin.gif
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
try nicking the growing tip to get the secondary points to split.  Thats a trait all angeiosperms (sp?) have and it has to do with coevolution with insects
smile.gif
 Yup, insects nibble the bud first telling the plant they are their so the plant makes extra leves for the bugs so they don't get eaten to death and the insects warn the plant so they don't overeat and starve.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
I don't quite get what you mean.
confused.gif

uh, okay the "stem" that the leaves sort of peal off of as they are made it's like a spike in the middle of the plant or maybe next to the youngest leaf. If you nick the tip it should respond by splitting it's growth point into at least two branches. I haven't tryed this on pitchers though it should work.

whos stefano? i havnt replied to this topic, maybe someone else has my name?

Back