What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So So happy!  New Truncata

schloaty

Staff member
Hi Everyone. I just got a new N Truncata in the mail, it's about 10 inches across. Has 6 or 7 pitchers, of which only two look fresh. Here is my question: should I cut off the pitchers that are completely brown and withered? I don't plan on cutting the ones that are only brown around the top, but the totally brown ones just don't look nice.
Also, I've heard conflicting things about how much light they like. I'v heard they like it really shady, and I've also heard they don't mind some direct sun..so which is it?
Thanks in advance.

you can cut any brown pitcher (or part of it too).
I grow them under flurecent light and they look great you have to be careful with direct sun a little sun during morning hours or afternoon would be nice.
Arie

From my experience Nepenthes truncata can be grown under full sun or at least very high light levels - here in Germany. Under these conditions plants can get pitchers about double as high as the leaf size.

Joachim

Higher light levels will give you the large pitchers on stockier plants. Personally I try and give my plants as much light as they will take and still grow well.

N. truncata can take full sun all day here in the Northeast US but it should be acclimated slowly. I would shoot for trying to get it a few hours of morning or late afternoon sun with some light shading during the middle of the day.
T

All I am going to add is it will be a big plant with monstrous pitchers and prove to be a very easy grower. Have fun and enjoy it!
smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">All I am going to add is it will be a big plant with monstrous pitchers and prove to be a very easy grower. Have fun and enjoy it![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Nep G, This is exactly why I chose it! I read a couple of things that said it was easy, and I've seen some pictures of trully monsterous pitchers. Also, it's easier to justify a plant with heart shaped leaves to your wife...
wink.gif

Anyway, I've had it a whole 18 hours now, with most of those hours spent at work
mad.gif

Yeesh
wow.gif
! Just the mouth is as big as his hand! But mine is getting close
biggrin.gif
. Congrats on your new truncata schloaty.

Wow, I take it that that is an Upper pitcher, but don't they have coiling tendrils? Not truncata I suppose...
confused.gif
Or do they?

Truncata does not make coiling tendrils. They just make big pitchers.
smile.gif
Uppers are generally characterized by a triangular lid and widely flaring peristome. Lowers are characterized by a small capped lid and striped short peristome.

kool truncata i can't wait to get mine in the mail.

with the n truncata, i still have mine i got in the pot from pft a couple months ago, its growing very nicely

i wanted to ask if they are fast growers, cus mines kidna slow, mayeb its the pot size, im going to repot it today, its about 9" acorss and very deep

this should last it for a long while right?

That size should do fine for a while. Kinda hard to tell, considering how fast the plant increases in size. I've heard of a highland form of truncata( should be entering cultivation soon) that can get to 6 feet in diameter!!!!! The pitchers get even larger than the lowland as well. I'll probably get one in the future.

The highland form of Truncata is absoulutly enormous! 8ft in diamter has been recorded, pitchers are titanus, and the leaves are just as big. It has entered cultivation too.

That pot size sounds big enough. Truncata can go rootbound for a while so don't worry.

8 feet! Wow. That's greater than my height, and I'm 6'8". I wouldn't be surprised if this thing could eat a human child
smile.gif

Back