What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Soil...

hey,
I just got a rafflesiana and a gracilis at the petflytrap sale. What is the soil mix for these? I gotta know
REALLY soon they should arrive any day now and I don't have anything to give them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
wow.gif
tounge.gif
wink.gif
HELP!

anyways...
do the Nepenthes come potted?

Thanks-
Spectabilis73

Spec73, i have both my adult plants in a 3/1 peat/vermiculite and they do fine

Sphagnum peat and pearlite would be a fine mix.

For swampy lowlanders like these I would make a mix of long fibered sphagnum, sphagnum peat and some charcoal. I put my gracilis, ampullaria and some unknown hybrids in this mix and all are doing fine. If you have all these ingredients you could give it a try, if not, it won't spell death for your plant, it's just my own mix for swampy lowlanders. Everyone eventually comes up with a soil mix they use for their different plants depending upon their growing situation.

Basically lowlanders like these are happy with their soils so long as they stay wet and warm. Cold water waterings are what really irritate them. You can leave your water on top of the refrigerator overnight before use or let the botle sit in a pan of hot water for a few minutes til the water gets to about 70-75*F. However, remember that too warm of water is just as bad as too cold so using an $1.99 aquarium thermometer is a quick easy way to be sure you're giving roughly the right temp water.

Spect 73, The plants come potted UNLESS you reuest they are sent bare root. Typical soil mixes are fine for these guys. se what everyone else has mentioned.
smile.gif
I personally use long fibered spahgnum for viturally ALL nepenthes but I am drifting to a more peaty and chunky mix for the highlanders and the lowlanders more of a spahgnum and peat and charcoal mix. But Raff and Gracilis will take most anything you give them!
smile.gif

Nep G, I beleive Spectabilis got his plants during the "liquidation sale" where the plants are sold bare root.

So do have a pot and mix ready for when your plants arrive.

I think I'll go with George-CPs mix I have both of those ingredients (I'm getting more peat today for my terrarium.)
does everyone think that's a good idea? (I need to know soon because they're coming in the mail today or tomorrow)

-----------------------------------------------------------

If I use longfibered spagnum, do I cut it up to small peices 1/2 to an 1nch long?
------------------------------------------------------------

swords,
do I have to put in charcol if I go whith your mix?
------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks everyone,
Spectabilis73
smile.gif

I'm getting confused.
confused.gif
some people say "spagnum peat" some say "spagnum" and some say just "peat" which is which?

Spec73, if you put the long fiber moss in cut it up but it doesn't have to be tiny. the charcoal is used to have some breathing room, quick drainage and for the roots to have something to grab hold of. when i put the charcoal in i usally crush it up a bit so it isn't as large as it comes in the bag and it spreds out more evenly but, i tend to place the stuff in the highlander

Sphagnum moss is just that and comes in long fiber and chopped and shredded. It is the live Sphagnum moss harvested and dried.

Peat moss is basically decomposed organic matter from a bog.. It may or may not be from a Sphagnum moss bog. Unless it says on the package Sphagnum peat moss you can not be certain which it is.

When people say LFS or Sphagnum without the word peat they mean the dried moss. When they say peat moss, Sphagnum peat moss, peat, sphagnum peat.... they mean the brown dried peat stuff. The word sphagnum in there is just to say to be sure it is peat moss from a sphagnum origin.
Tony

Spactabilis,
I just use the charcoal in my mixes involving peat to hopefully keep the soil less stangnant. When I used peat it used to get stinky after a while, but I also used to water the plants a lot less than I do now, I can't say for sure if the soil doesn't smell due to the more frequent watering or the charcoal. I've heard that charcoal will keep the peat from souring (as it stays rather wet all the time for nepenthes). Plus it does help aerate the soil.

Chop up the long fibered sphagnum? Oops! I didn't know I was supposed to!
wow.gif

I've only chopped up my LFS moss when I'm putting it into a very tiny container (2"). My plants seem to be OK so far without having done it.

Sword, that is what i ment by cuting up the l/f moss. i only do it if i'm putting it into a small pot or something but, when it comes to a large basket i pull it apart and mix it in.

Back