User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lowland nep leaves not nice&green?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a thought, are these the nectar glands on the leaf?
    Nick

Careful where you crawl, it might be a trap!

http://www.carnivorium.com
    http://www.buckeyecarnivores.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ Nick: Nectar glands? I never thought of that. How would I know?

@swords: Well, the openning wasn't too big at first, and I gradually openned it more as the plant grew taller. However, I did try to keep the humidity up pretty well. You could be right, though, it could have dropped enough to have an effect...but I would expect the plants to stop pitchering if that were the case [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif[/img]

I will go to the store today to get some insecticide (whether or not I need it right now...I will eventually, no doubt&#33[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img]
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a post about the nectar glands awhile ago. My truncata had round brown and reddish spots, like cigarette burns on boths sides of the leaves. Turns out that it was burn too much light and too little humidity. It was more shock from shipping than anything else - my plant recovered in about 2 months. It didn't have any pitchers at the time, so I couldn't tell you if the plant would stop pitchering if this happened.

Hope that helps!
    A flytrap ate my homework!
    -Michelle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes that's true, they likely would have stopped pitchering, but then again truncata is rather low humidity tolerant, what other plants have you got in there? After the new leaves and pitchers form do they also turn this color or does only the older leaves (since before opening the lid) have this color?

If the rusty spots pretty much appeared all at once on all plants (within a day or two) instead of starting with one plant then the next and so on I would be leading towards a humidity issue. A close up photo might help us all get a better idea of what we'e looking at.

If it is insects, I had a bottle of "safe" insecticide that I got at a Franks Nursery and Crafts store which was a misting solution made with Chrysanthemum flowers and was supposed to be so safe you could spray the bugs off your tomato plants one day and wash and eat the fruit the next day. It did wipe out the white bugs that attacked my cape sundew but their eggs surived and a few days or week or so later they came back. If I would have kept spraying I likely would have got rid of it but I threw the plant out instead of risking my whole sundew collection.

The large red rusty area is not nectar glands. Nectar glands are like pimples (which are not usually discolored) on the upper leaf surface (truncata's are very large and feel like braile text under th fingers). These discolored bumps will occasionally "leak" a droplet of sticky fluid (nectar) kind of like a sweating pimple! From underneath the leaf it should look like a dark (not black) spot. I will see if I can find my photos of the nectar glands on my N. bicalcarata and post them here later today if I find them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12