What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. aristolochioides

Attached is a shot of an N. aristolochioides upper pitcher. It was hanging at an odd angle, so I photographed it on a bed of moss. It's rather more elongated than the lower pitchers of the species, and is, of course, sans wings.

aristoUpper.jpg

That's awesome Jeff!
How tall is the upper pitcher?

It is about 8 cm high.

Wow!
How old is the plant?

Wow!
wow.gif
That pitcher rocks! Now I'm REALLY psyched...I just got this plant about a week or 10 days ago...It's out on the porch railing. It's an itty bitty baby...only 3 inches across (well, I think a little more than that now...it REALLY likes our current weather pattern). There are currently TWO pitchers developing simultaneously.

And Tony told me it might be difficult....;)

The plant is five years old, and is a male. It is now producing its second flower stalk. You can see a picture of what the flowers look like on my website.

This species really likes cool nights, so be aware that it may prove difficult to cultivate under warm conditions!

That is beautiful, Neps! Lovely form and color.

Thanks for sharing the pic.
smile.gif

Suzanne

phantastic picture (and phantastic plant) !

"...It's an itty bitty baby...only 3 inches across..."
3 inch? You don't know what a really small plant is, hmmm....

Mine is 1 1/2 years old and still less than 2 inches across. I believe that the nights in my terrarium are defintly to warm for it to grow well :-(

For _me_ the slowest growing species of all, even my villosa is faster.

Martin

Yes indeed Martin! A 3 inch N. aristolochioides! Wow nice plant mine's only 2 inches across as well.

Excellent photo and plant Jeff. Keep up your fabulous work as always.
wink.gif

Really guys? Wow, I never knew!
confused.gif
You learn something new on the forum every day. I've also been galactically lucky with the current weather patter (well, my highland neps have, anyway...the rain is starting to shorten human tempers). It's been raining almost constantly for two weeks, low 80 in the day, low to hi 60's every night with humidity over 90% 24/7. All the other highlanders have exploded in growth, too.
rolleyes.gif

Thanks for your remarks, everyone!

I think that you will find this species to grow much more rapidly if it is kept fairly cool, especially at night. Overnight lows down to around 5 C and daytime highs up to 25 C are recommended.

Back