What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Did a bad thing...

• Thread starter Dyflam
  • Start date
I did a stupid bad thing last night. I took all my neps out of the house to water them. It was really nice... lower 70's. I figured I would leave them out to get some sun and guess what. I FORGOT TO BRING THEM IN! The temp dropped to 40. Too late now... just have to wait and see what happens.
mad.gif

That shouldn't bother tham unless you left out a bical,amp,gracilis,etc. Highlands should be fine. lowlanders you might get leaf damage. Mine, up here in NY were froze to 28F so yours should look alot better than my poor guys!
sad.gif

sorry to hear about that dyflam.
sad.gif
Hope the plants manage to survive. If they don't though, I could send you a cutting or 2 from some of my neps.

Jœl

Well, thanks for the reassurance and the offer. They seem to look ok today so far. I won't make that screw up again. *knocks on wood*
smile.gif

heck, i didn't want to risk the cold w/ the plants when i heard on the news that it was going to get down to the 30 here and i brought all the plants into the house.

hope your plants are going to be ok Dyflam.

Putting plants out overnight in a frost is a trick an orchid grower friend in England used to use. The plants 'think' they are going to die, so they flower in an attempt to reproduce before death. That way he always had orchids flowering simultaneously in time for big shows. Perhaps your plants will flower now if they're old enough
smile.gif

Or perhaps the leaves will just burn
sad.gif

Yes if they're highlanders they will more than likely not even notice. I am using outside temps from MN to cool my tank at night (sucking air through a fan and tube and into the tank). I've had the window cracked slightly too much a few times this fall/winter and the tank dropped into the low 40*s with no visible influence, had some pitchers big and beautiful afterwards so the highland plants don't seem to mind the occasional steep temp drop.

Flowers would be cool... never had that happen yet. I have a mix of highlanders (intermediate) and lowlanders. After day two they still look ok. I'm thinking a few of the new pitchers may not form but I think they'll be all right.
smile.gif

Well, after several days it looks like truncata and Judith Finn took the brunt of the damage. Also a little leaf damage to bicalcarata. I hope I don't forget again.
confused.gif

I think all growers have some type of lapse of judgment from time to time. I had one right after I got my first Nepenthe. It was a bicalcarata and it was really a good size plant. It had two full grown pitchers. One was already dying, the second was doing great, it had great color two. I had some compact fluorescent lights hanging from cords. I wanted to take some pics or my new plant. So I moved the light and laid it beside the plant so I could get a good shot. After I was finished with the pics I forgot to put the light back. Part of the light was touching the nice looking pitcher. At the time the light was off so it didn't do any harm until the timer turned on the lights the next morning. I got home from work the next day and half of the pitcher was burned. Not long afterwards the whole pitcher was gone. The plant lived and today it's still a nice plant.
Hopefully your plants will be like mine and suffer only a small setback. Keep us posted on how they do.

Back