What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. lowii from g. mulu

The pitcher shown is about 13 cm high, and is of the G. Mulu
variety. This variety is somewhat different from the G. Trus Madi
type; it is more robust, and the finger-like projections under
the operculum are thicker and much more numerous. This plant
has yet to produce upper pitchers, but I suspect it will do so
within the year.

Not a very good picture, but I hope you enjoy it!

lowiiMuluLower.jpg

Excellent! That's the lowiis I have. Only, mine are 3" seedlings with pea sized pitchers. How old is the plant which grew that pitcher? Does lowii's growth speed up after a certain size?

Shows how much I know. I thought the Trus Madi was the most robust.
Neps, How would you rank the four locales of N. lowii from easist to hardest?

Regards,

Joe

Well I think it is an impressive picture and an impressive plant.

I ned a greenhouse <sob>

Hi Jeff,

very nice pitcher looking considerable different to the N. lowii clones from Trusmadi:

N_lowii_0103_small.jpg

(only 10cm in height)

Joachim

Super plant Jeff! Just super!
smile.gif
I must get this variety this summer! Joachim also super picture.

Yes, which geographical forms are more difficult or easy. I'm getting a N. lowii from Mt. kinabulu (spelling?), and I don't really know what it looks like.

Very nice!
smile.gif

You don't need a greenhouse Pyro, just a basement, a few lights, some ultrasonic humidifiers and.... Oh yes, a great deal of time, patience and dedication. After all that it's easy
tounge.gif

Joachim, my N. lowii are all from Trus Madi, but recollection serves to tell me that they look more like Jeff's than the photo you just posted. Hmm. Memory could be playing tricks on me. I'm making the trek up to the highland nursery next week and will try to take some photos.

Glad that you've enjoyed the picture!

To answer a few questions:

First, yes, it does seem that lowii speeds up a bit. Mature
plants in my experience produce about 10 leaves and pitchers
per year, and take about 5 or 6 years to reach maturity from
TC.

The plant in the picture is around 5 years old. It may be a bit
slower than the variety from Trus Madi, but it makes up for
it by being more robust, in my humble opinion.

I've not noticed any real difference regarding difficulty in
cultivation among clones from different areas. They certainly
do exhibit some interesting morphological variations, however.

BTW, nice picture of a very cool plant, Joachim! Thanks for
posting it!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Borneo @ Jan. 24 2003,03:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Joachim, my N. lowii are all from Trus Madi, but recollection serves to tell me that they look more like Jeff's than the photo you just posted. Hmm. Memory could be playing tricks on me. I'm making the trek up to the highland nursery next week and will try to take some photos.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Interesting Rob, where do you think it originates from or even what it is? I got this plant from Andreas three years ago and it grows much slower than the rate Jeff mentiones. It does only produce about five to six new leafes and pitchers per year. In the last weeks a first basal offshot appeared and I am now waiting for it to start growing upper pitchers...

Jeff, can you please tell us how large the plant is, the very nice pitcher shown belongs to? I would also be very intersted in the light levels, this plant is grown under.

Joachim

Presently, this plant is approximately 53 cm in diameter.
I cannot give you a precise value for the illumination it
receives, but can tell you that it is about 1 m from
a 1000 W MH lamp, and that the photoperiod is about 13.5
hours. The color temperature of the lamp is about 4000 K.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Borneo @ Jan. 23 2003,9:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">You don't need a greenhouse Pyro, just a basement, a few lights, some ultrasonic humidifiers and....  Oh yes, a great deal of time, patience and dedication. After all that it's easy
tounge.gif
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Rob,

Okay, I have the lights, humidifiers, time, patience and dedication. So all I really need to do is get out of these forsaken apartments and get a house with a basement LOL
tounge.gif
wink.gif
biggrin.gif
I can do that (I think.) And seeing thes pictures gives me extra motivation.

Go for it, man! Let nothing stand in your way!
tounge.gif

Oh no, another must have species! You guys have to stop posting these photos, you're turning me into a quivering mass of avarice and envy. Stunning photo's, my compliments to you all.

Yeah, thats a species on my list when I order from Andreas wistuba later this year. I didn't know the lower pitchers were so interesting, does anyone know the function of the lid protrubences, are they to do with ants or what?

Andrew

They secret a white substance that may be a lure for prey or in the upper pitchers for birds, so when the birds eat the excrement they also deficate into the pitchers and therefore both plant and bird are benifited. Jeff, mayeb you've observed this in your own plants and observed prey's reactions to this?

Actually, the "hairs" themselves do not secrete the exudate
observed on the underside of the operculum of N. lowii.
The exudate is produced by glands, just as in other Nepenthes.

However, and this is purely speculation on my part, it may be
that the hairs serve to anchor the exudate in place. It is,
after all, rather different from that produced by most species in
that it is opaque and semi-solid. I have also been told that it
tastes like lemon sherbet, but I've not tried it for myself!
sad.gif

I have not observed the interaction between fauna and my
plants since my specimens are grown in an environment devoid
of macrofauna.

Hmmm...lemon sherbert! I may have to taste this for myself!
smile.gif
Personally N. truncata and bicalcarata taste real good IMHO.
wink.gif

Not a very good picture?! That's an excellent pic man! Beautiful!

Back