What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australian nep article

Hello,

I was surfing around and came across this interesting article. Allot of you may have already seen it but I  thought I would share the link:
nep link

Cool article seedling! The author is very lucky, and I'm jealous! What a great set of discoveries! Now, when are we going to be able to get a N. rowanae?

Capslock

You can get one from the site...but it you set you back $250+
wink.gif
Hopefully tc will bring down the price.

Well, if I win the lottery, one will be on the way!!! I think I can wait till it's in wider cultivation. At least for a while...

Seriously, I think that's a very cool looking Nep!

Capslock

Dear Capslock:

Yes, his name is Geoff Mansell and i think he is one of the pioneers of nepenthes hybrids!!. 70% of my nep collection comes from his nursery. He has magic when it comes to growing these babies!!

Some people believe that N. rowanae is nothing more than a variety of N. mirabilis!!. This needs to be confirmed.

Agustin

What is also interesting are the other variations they found-a snapshot of speiation in progress.
Gus, have you ever been to the Mansell's establishment? I hear they're out in the boonies. How many greenhouses does he have up and running devoted to Nepenthes? I talked to him years ago on the phone, and at the time he was just installing cooling pads to his greenhouse for the highland plants.

Trent

Deffinately speciation in progress! I will leave it to qualified taxonimists to determine if it's a new species yet or subspecies or variety or whatever! They are striking plants regardless of the official name.

I am not aware of them in TC so if you want one it will have to be a seedling or wait for cuttings.

Tony

Well, the funny thing is that, in australia, there was only one type of Nepenthes found: N. mirabilis (northernmost sections). All of the sudden Geoff finds this plant in the same geographical area where most N. mirabilis are found. It definitely looks different, but then, what are the basis to speciate a plant?? looks or genes or both??.
Well, only time will tell.

Trent: I have been in contact with Geoff, since I became a Nepenthaholic. I have never been to his place yet, but it amazes me the fact that he lives in the tropical rainforest of Queensland (85-90 F during the day and 65-70 at night), but then he manages to grow highlands including lowii with the aid of evaporative coolers. He even sent me a picture once of his set up. I lost it but i am going to ask him for it again!!.

I am planning a trip to Queensland next year, so I am planning to pay him a visit then. This year, i'll be closer to Phill Mann's residence, another Australian Nepenthes grower!!

Gus

Capslock and others:

Don't forget that the 250 Australian dollars price may come down to 150-160 US dollars, when you get to convert the total amount.

Gus

International shipping and phytos may bring the price up there, I came across this plant on their site a few months ago, I love it!!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif

Do the phyto documents cost a lot? I'm sure the shipping would be somewhat manageable. Still a lot of money, but... well, I'm kind of out of control when it comes to nepenthes.

Capslock

Some other people have been up there recently and this plant may become available from other sources quite soon. I expect that as soon as that happens the price will come down so I suggest you all wait a while.

Cheers, Troy.

Back