What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes Growth Photos

Here are two of my Nepenthes producing new growth at the bottom of tall stems.

N Ventricosa with 2 new growths. Pitchers would have probably been bigger, but the past few weeks I have been moving so it wasn't in the highest light or humidity possible.
sad.gif

NVENT.jpg

N.Alata with 3 new growths. Unfortunatly these do not have pitchers also because of low light and humidity during my move the last few weeks. The 3rd photo is of the same N.Alata I submitted to the User Gallery late last year.
NALATA.jpg
NALATA2.jpg
NALATAJOE.jpg

Very Nice Nepenthes Pictures!!!! :eek: Love the N. Ventricosa.

Nice pics. I wish my Ventricosa was that large! How long have you had it?

I'd love to post a new pic of my ventrata, but I sort of gave it too much light and it's looking burned.
sad.gif
I put some more shadecloth over it so maybe in a couple of months it'll be back to normal.

Joel

What tank setup do you have for your N. Alata? By the way nice pics.

As you can see, the stems are tall and bare, so I am thinking of trying to air layer it. I'm afraid if I chop the top off it may not root. Any suggestions for air-layering or taking stem cuttings for those who have done it? The N.Alata especially is so top heavy and the only thing that keep the stem upright is the weight of the 6"pitchers on the ground around the whole plant, it keeps the weight evenly distributed.

Thanks, Joe

I know how u feel. My D. rotundifolia is up on a stem, THEN it gets rosetty... Like, it goes steeeeeeemmmmm, then the rosette you expect to see on the ground... Odd. Anyhow, I know how u feel about not wanting to lop the top half off... I heard you can decapitate sundews, and put the top half in dirt, and the roots will grow a new plant... I'm a afrain, so i think i'll just wait till dormancy, then it will grow a new set of leaves that are nicer... As for you, I dont know... If the stem gets too cumbersome, I suppose you can try it, but dont substitute like, peat for sphagnum, or like, ROOTs for SuperThrive... I suppose the advice i am wanting to give is if you wanna do it, follow the instructions you get to the very last detail...

The biggest fear of chopping the top off a tall Nepenthes with a long bit of bare hard stem is that it will not sprout new shoots. Since your plant already has basal shoots started, I would chop it down to just above that point. The top piece can then be cut up into multiple pieces or you can try rooting it as one piece. Personally I would suggest removing most of the bare stem since you will just end up with a tall plant with alot of bare stem if you try rooting it like that.
The top portion where the leaves are should root without any difficulty. The bare portion may root and sprout new shoots.. or it may not..
Tony

When I took my plants to the computer to read these e-mails to them, I think my N. Alata got mad that he didn't get any compliments. So I guess he's trying to be beautiful too. He's starting 2 new growth points at the top of the plant (maybe 3, a dormant bud on the leaf the below the 2 is getting larger, not sure if it's gonna sprout). Plus another new growth at the base of the plant again with the other 3 that were in the photo. So that'll make a total 6 new growing points this year!!! (7 if the other one decides to see the light of day or umm... light of the flourescent tubes! lol
smile.gif
)

WOOHOO!!! I'll post a photo when they get larger.
Joe

All of the plants look great but I'm wondering about how tall the pitchers are on the ventricosa (in inches).

The current ones are not so big, just 2". It had 3" but during my move (like I said before) they were in low humidity with lower light which caused everything to shrink
sad.gif
. The babies are getting 1.5" pitchers now, almost the size of momma/daddy! The kids are also growing more than 2x the speed of the there parent.

This Ventricosa is the 'red' form. You can tell it needed more light because the pitchers aren't red!

BTW, I have decided to name the plants. The Alata is Al if its a guy or Alley if it's a girl. As for Ventricosa, it will be Veno for a guy and Vena for a girl. Very original huh?

(Edited by Statik2426 at 1
wow.gif
4 pm on April 19, 2002)

Back