What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. diatas

Hi,

Thought I'd post this image of a nice-sized pitcher from one of my specimens of N. diatas. My experience has been that this plant will neither grow well, nor pitcher properly if grown too warmly. It seems to do best with nights consistently around 5 to 8 C. However, it is quite beautiful and well worth the extra effort required to grow it well.

Good growing all!

diatas.jpg

Hey,
That is a beautiul N. Diatas, thanks for sharing the photo, oh, how large is that pitcher? Thanks,
Kevin

The pitcher shown is about 12 cm high.

Hi Jeff,

very nice pitcher - as always!

Is this one of the clones Andreas is selling? I got a small TC N. diatas from him some weeks ago and would be interested, if it'll look like your plant when adult. We discussed N. diatas a bit and he had the impression, that the differences between plants from lower and higher altitudes are mainly due to growth conditions and not due to differences in clones.

Joachim

Dear Joachim:

Such a statement of growing conditions affecting pitcher shape should be taken very seriously. Genetics, in most cases dictate the phenotype of the plant. if the altitude affects the shape of the pitchers, then it'd be great to do an experiment where one can mimic these conditions to get the same exact pitcher shape!!. Regardless of what altitude does to the pitchers, the genes of the plants are affected at all times and this is causing the pitchers to look different!!. Sounds a little far fetched but it could be true.

Agustin

Hi Joachim,

Thanks for your kind words. Yes, the clone pictured did come from Andreas, some time ago. So, it is very likely that this is what your plant will look like.

Back