What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. maxima boroneo

I got a N. Maxima Boroneo a month ago. I just want to make sure about something not a lot of people I have talked to know about this species. I am treating it as a highland wich most Maxima's are but is it best grown as a intermedia. Can someone help me out. Please tell me how much water this pertcular nep likes and what the cool down temps should be.
biggrin.gif
--Phil
biggrin.gif

I think any maxima is best grown as an intermediate. Both highland and lowland forms can be considered as intermediates. I don't know the exact temperatures, but it should adapt to either highland or lowland fairly easily. If you keep growing it as a highland, it will do fine.
Water should be about typical for a nep, as far as I know.

So you really thank it would be okay to put it into my lowland greenhouse instead of my highland grow chamber?
confused.gif
The lowland greenhouse 82*F &0-80% humidity and at night 74*F highland tank 78*F 83% humidity and at night 67.8*F.
confused.gif

It would do fine in either. N. maxima are very adaptable to different environments. The set up your calling highland is really more intermediate.

Tony

I guess I have freak maxima hybrids!
sad.gif
wink.gif

My Maxima hybrids only grow and pitcher in extreme lowland conditions of 90*F+ days and 70*F+F at night plus set in trays of water. I was told both of them were highlanders but neither even barely grew in the highland tank (even after six months they showed almost no growth) and no pitchers what so ever whilst all Neps around them were pitchering and growing just fine. I would like to get a true maxima species just to see if they are different.

So Tony are you saying it would be okay to put the Maxima into my lowland greenhouse? What do you think it will do best in my lowland enviroment or inter/highland enviroment. The highland tank changes as the weather gets warmer. In May or late april the cooling down is 56*F and the day temps wll be 84*F
biggrin.gif
My Lowland Greenhouse it will be great to grow a Biclarata in it will be 89*F day and night 79*F with both enviroments (highland & lowland) 83%.
biggrin.gif

My ventricosa x maxima hybrid used to love hot temperatures... then it stopped pitchering... I let him have
his way for a while and a few months later bought some fans to cool down the tank after discovering it was almost constantly in the 90's... two fans and three months later Max is pitchering agan... go figure.

I don't know if "Boroneo" is to signify the N. maxima came from Borneo, but if I am not mistaken, Charles Clarke in his book "Nepenthes of Borneo" debunks N. maxima growing there to his knowledge I believe.

Kim

So can you tell me from that book's information about the Maxima I have, I think the person I bought the plant from made a mistake on the name Boroneo well mybe it is a Boroneo I asked him and he said to grow it Highland What does it say in the book about the Maxima, Such as conditions (Highland or Lowland) and water etc. Thanx

Phil
biggrin.gif

Perhaps it is the plant released by Malesiana from Borone. According to their website it is a lowland form.
Tony

I assumed that was what was being discussed, and that "Borone" had been spelled wrong.
Mansell has a plant of his site that he claims is a maxima from Sabah(var Pieriensis, named after a former Govenor), but I asked Charles about that and he thought that it was bogusly named.

Regards,

Joe

Since Joe mentioned pierenensis variety of N. maxima...isn't it bizzare how the color of the pitcher fluid turns orange after prey capture...er wait that the Sulawesi form nevermind.
smile.gif
As for your N. maxima "Boroneo" Phil I think it is also the Borone lowland form of N. maxima. I say pop it in lowland conditions and see how it does.

You guys better be right don't want to lose a Borneo. Thanx I am switching it into Lowland GH right know.
biggrin.gif

Tony on your web-site it says N. Maxima Boroneo and it says lowland under nepenthes (N. maxima (Borone, Sulawesi)) Is this right?
confused.gif
wink.gif

So Tony did you see that on your Site. It said N. Maxima Boroneo, Sarawak. Lowland. Is it true?
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

A former Sabah Parks Official by the name of Sonny Periera once showed me what he thought was N. maxima growing near the Mamut Copper mine close to Kinabalu Park.  We didn't spend long there since it was growing in gloomy dense rattan with more leeches per square inch than I have ever seen.   I took some terrible photos and then beat a hasty retreat.  Later that year I saw N. macrovulgaris for the first time on the other side of Sabah and remember thinking how much it resembled the plant Sonny had found.  Sonny however, remained convinced he had found N. maxima and for years used to take people to see it and take cuttings.  I've just got an inkling that the N. maxima 'var. periensis' might be the same plant.  Sort of green is it, with a wide mouth?

We are growing a form of N. maxima from Anggi Lakes, Sulaweisi.  It's rather slower than expected but I just assumed it would do best under highland conditions.   However, having read this thread we'll take some down to the lowlands and see what happens.

It was cold here last night!

I am having my first pitcher from it. It is fast growing didnt even have a shipping shock. But the old pitchers on it have red spots on it. I will tell you how it looks without soil on the pitche. It will take about a week and half for the pitcher to forum and open.
biggrin.gif
Tony posted here and in his signeture I think there is his website, look under nepenthes and you we se it says N. Maxima boroneo lowland.
biggrin.gif

P.S. I will try and take a pic. I grow it in highland conditions.
smile.gif

Sorry I was out of town.

According to Malesiana the lowland form I have is from Borone, Sulawesi. I don't have much other information than that. I have been growing more intermediate because it is difficult to provide true lowland conditions in the great white North. They seem to do fine though which is not overly surprising since N. maxima in my experience is fairly tolerant to varied conditions.
T

I just switched int my lowland GH yesterday night. I wake up today it is fine I know you said it mite take about 1 or 2 weeks to get used to the new climate. Thanx for the information.--Phil
biggrin.gif

It should do fine in intermediate conditions. Where I live here in Hawaii, all my N. maxima forms do great and everything we grow, we grow outside. Temps in the winter are about 75-82 F daytime and 58-65F nightime. Summer temps are usually 65-70F at night and daytime highs are 80-85 during the summer. Lowlands also seem to do just fine with some lowlands such as bical, raff, mirabilis, amps and thorellii going a bit slower than if grown at hotter daytime temps. However, they all seem to do fine and we have quite good luck with highlands also. We are at only about 50 ft. above sea level. Some of the ultra highlands we grow up the hill where it is cooler, but we can grow spectabilis, burbidgea, stenophylla, ramispina, sibuyanensis and many others at this elevation and temps. The amazing thing is how well Sarracenia have done here for us.

Kim

Back