What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Seed windfall!

schloaty

Staff member
Boy, I just struck gold! I received a packet of N. lowii seeds last night. I sowed them in chopped LFS, covered them with cling wrap, and set them out in a low light area on my deck (perfect highland conditions, warm days, cool nights). Now I'm crossing my fingers.
The seeds are apparantly pretty fresh. Anyone know round about when I might start seeing sprouts? I'm going to go crazy until then....
smile.gif

Boy, am I jealous, but I would guess that you'll see sprouts in 3-6 weeks, depending on seed, conditions, etc. GOOD LUCK!!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif

Lucky DUCK! Man I wish I had some! Oh well, I'll be getting some nep seeds of my own soon!

SF

Yep, four days ago I sowed my N.lowii seeds, too. I usually put them in one of my terrariums and keep them at 50% humidity over day, at night it increases quite a bit.

I had good germination with a couple of other species.

Jan

P.S. Try to get Osmocote fertilizer as soon as they germinate, then wait a bit and put them in invidual pots with Osmocote pearls in the substrate. The plants will grow like ####...

Osmocote is a wonderous thing for our CP's! Tony introduced me to it and it is the best thing my Neps have expierenced. Of course it is only good when used in CARE and not overdosed.

Thanks guys! I guess I'm heading out to Home Depot today...I've heard, though, that fertilizing neps can result in smaller pitchers....Is that true? Not like I need to worry about small pitchers with seedlings the size of a pinhead
rolleyes.gif

First get them germinated, than power them up with SOME fertilizer (not too much). After that they will have pitchers large enough too feed. I don't think the pitcher of fertilized nepenthes are smaller. If you overdose the fertilizer the plants will perhaps stop to pitcher at all. But its an "all or nothing" thing, I think. (normal pitchers or no pitchers at all)

Jan

Hi all:

Congrats, schloaty. What is a good source for nepenthes seeds? and

What would be the recommended amount of osmocote for 30-40 seeds??.

Gus

Gus,
I got my nep seeds from Patrice Charpantier in France. He runs a seedbank over there. Doesn't always have nep seeds, but he always has tons ( and I mean TONS) of great seeds. This seed bank is really top notch!
carnibank

Thanks Schloaty:

Your info is very valuable.

Gus

Gus, tell him Dave Schloat sent ya!
smile.gif

Ok, update: Two weeks and one day, no germination yet. Not worried yet, either.

Back