What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's this about nepenthes that can't be moved?

I read about a touchy Nepenthes somewhere on here that would supposedly die if you moved it or I think it was "give it a quarter turn".
Could someone tell me what that species was and why moving the plant would kill it?
Or is this an inside joke and I'm not getting it?

No inside joke! It is Nepenthes Bellii. The "wimp" Nepenthes. They say giving it a quarter of a turn will kill it as it is just a VERY sensitive plant.

I don't have any problems with mine. Oz

Me or the people?
smile.gif

Someone tried to relate to someone that bellii is a bit more sensitive than other Nepenthes to repotting and environmental stress (although I don't find that to be the case). And it has now grown into this wacko rumor that you can kill it simply by turning its pot a little each day..

Tony

I totally agree with Tony P and g8oz! I’ve had my N bellii for close to a year now, and I can tell you that I’ve turned its pot and done all sort of crazy things to it, and it’s still ticking.
smile.gif
I personally think that overall plant sensitivity depends on how it is grown. For instance, a N bellii grown under super ideal conditions (like with constant 100% humidity) probably isn’t as robust as one that is grown in not so ideal conditions. Correct me if I’m wrong, but don’t Nepenthes plants that are grown in really high humidity have smaller root systems than those that are grown in lower humidity? Could this be the cause of N bellii supposed extreme root sensitivity? I think that it might be the case, but that’s just conjecture on my part.

Joel

My own experience with bellii is that it has a few really long roots. If they get damaged during repotting it hits the plant hard.

I think it is a reasonable assumption that plants will respond to balance the need for water uptake with their environment. Hence a plant that needs a larger root system because of a less humid environment or less available moisture at the roots etc, will grow a larger root system. Provided that there is room for it to develop and the plant manages to survive to do so. I am sure there are alot of other factors too. The plants inherent ability to cope with the environment and respond in such a manner. Which may vary from species to species and from plant to plant within the same species!

Tony

Actually, I've heard people attribute this sensitivity to N. merrilliana.
However, I've not observed it in the specimens in my collection.

Yes, Merrilliana has a frequnet problem with small pots, as it has a very long and narrow root system, sorta like 1 giant tap root only made up of like 50+ Nepenthes roots. The reason lots of people have trouble with Merrilliana is because they don't know that Merrilliana likes a very deep not wide pot to extend it's roots into. If not given this extra deepness it will not do well and cease pitcher production first, then leaves will form very wavy,stunted,and deformed as a sign it is very rootbound. I will transplant my Merrilliana about every 3 years, I check the roots and if they are coming in close proximity to the pot bottom I transplant, but it has proven very easy to grow with true lowland conditions and very high humidity and I reccomend planting in Long fiber spahgnum with lots of perlite and quit abit of orchid bark, it is a VERY airy and super fast drianing mix that my merrilliana love. But just keep it in a deep pot with long fiber sphangum, I don't like peat and perlite as it is too heavy and not light and airy enough for the roots. BUT you can use it with succes, long fiber spahgnum also makes VERY easy transplanting and virtually no rot distubance if you transplant carefully.

hmmmm......  
confused.gif

Doesn't merriliana live on lateritic hills in the phillippines? Isn't laterite very dense?

This all seems so confusing...
confused.gif

I think someone should write a "Nepenthes of the Phillippines" book. (fatboy!!!
wink.gif
)

Anyway, I'm thinking of experimenting with laterite in my merrilliana soil mix once it outgrows it's current 6 inch pot (which i think will be in the next few months). I've read descriptions of the stuff, and I think that it sounds alot like the clay stuff under the top soil in my backyard. I managed to get some of the clay out of the ground, and I'm wondering if any geology expert on the forum can tell me if it's really laterite or not. The best things in life are free, so I'm hoping that the stuff really is laterite!
smile.gif

(I put the clay in wide tray and mixed it with a lot of water to try to "purify" it so that's why it's so wet.)
lo_clay_1.jpg

I know that this is sort of off topic but merrilliana and bellii are related, so it really isn't THAT off topic. hehe
smile.gif

Thanks a lot.

Joel

But Joel, you must remember that is in the WILD not in cultivation. And if we grew Merrilliana in it's natural soil mix it wouldn't do so well as it isn't in it's natural conditions. That's why Nepenthes people have soil mixes, to see what works best on a certain plant in cultivation/captivity.

Laterite simply means soil formed from the decomposition of rock. Most laterite type soils are very well drained as there are usually alot of rocks and pebbles still mixed into it since rock does not decompose uniformly. Clay is not the same. (clay is hydrated silicates of aluminum)

I think there is a product on the market called laterite which is expanded and fired clay or ceramic, hence the confusion that laterite is a physical thing. Adding this type of product to your potting mix will give it a laterite feel.
Tony

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">hence the confusion that laterite is a physical thing[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
tony i know you know what you're talkin about
confused.gif
can you explain to me what that means, thx, i thought anything that isnt made of energy, is physical....
confused.gif
?
confused.gif
?
confused.gif
?
confused.gif
?
confused.gif

thx
tounge.gif

Ok.

Laterite is not a physical thing while laterite soil is. Laterite is a deffinition to describe a soil that has formed by the breakdown of rock. I am not a geologist that's for sure. I do have some knowledge on soils but mostly I am just looking up what these terms mean in the dictionary. But to say I am going to add laterite to my potting mix is technically incorrect. You can say I am going to make a laterite type soil. Usually by adding alot of crushed stone. The kicker here is there are many types of stone and the key would be to get the the type of stone and grade that is the base material for the laterite soil the plant grows in naturally. Adding pea gravel to potting mix is essentially making a laterite type soil but it might not be the correct laterite soil and hence act differently than the soil the plant naturally grows in.
Tony

Thought I'd try to add a bit to the discussion of laterite. Laterite is a residual product of
rock decay which is rich in iron oxide and aluminum hydroxide. The adjectival form of
this word is lateritic.

Laterite granules are a dull reddish-brown in color and may be found in aquarium stores.
They are used to supplement aquarium substate materials to support aquatic plants.
However, they may also be used with Nepenthes; I've personally used this substance
with N. merrilliana, and found that it greatly increased the color of the plant's leaves and
pitchers. Furthermore, it may have a beneficial effect on the species overall health and
rate of growth.

RAW,

What Tony is saying is that "laterite" can and is used as both a noun (or "physical" as you define it) and an adjective.

When Tony says that "laterite" is not a physical thing he is refering to the adjective form and he is correct. The same way he would be correct if he were to say that the term "warm" is not physical when used to describe colours.

Pyro

I think laterite would work well in N.Rajah's soil mix also. I will look at my local pet store for laterite next time. ANd since Rajah grows in Ultramafic soils maybe laterite could help it get larger and grow even faster. Since neps said it has iron oxide in it and aluminum hydroxide laterite could benifit Rajah and other Nepenthes. Just an idea.

For Robert Gibson's (Who actually was a geologist) article on Laterite Soils in Western Australia check out http://www.cephalotus.net.

I do use the aquarium laterite in some of my pygmy Drosera mixes and it seems to help them.

Cheers

Back