What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CPU Fan

• Thread starter lithopsman
  • Start date
I know a lot of you folk know about this... You guys are REALLY smart! So how could I remove a CPU fan from a Dell Dimension XPS D300? I'm getting rid of it soon. (though it is what I'm using now...)

I also forgot to ask, how do i get it to work after removal? if not, I can have a computer guy do it, but that takes more money...

And is there on/off, or do I have to plug it in?

Heyo litopsguy!
wink.gif

I made this diagram for my friend greg when he asked me what i did in my highland nep terrarium. Anyway, it really isn't that complicated, although hiding all the wires is. You can get most of the stuff that you need at radioshack, although it might be a little expensive there. I suggest that you forget about the fan in your dell though, since brand new ones are fairly cheap ($10), and they're more efficient than used ones(not to mention that they're also a lot more silent). I'm no wireing wizard, but this has worked for me so far without a problem. The only "real" problem is finding a way to cool the terrarium down to 50F without using bottles of ice!
tounge.gif

fan_wireing_diagram.jpg

You can put the whole thing on a timer to make it automatic too, although I have the fans running nonstop.

Joel

ok, but is it possible to remove it? I probably will get a new one, but...
confused.gif

Really, you shouldn't remove the fan - the CPU needs it! Even if you're selling it/getting rid of it, the next person will need it. I've seen the price of a new one as low as $3 (Fry's Electronics). I added a heat sink (flat metal thingy it slides into) so I could stick it directly onto the glass. You get less air that way, but it sucks it in and sends it up and down instead of forward - depends on how you like it. I didn't want it blowing my fog into oblivion, so having it push it down to the bottom and up worked great. Hard to see but here's a pic.
happytank.jpg

Well, that's just the thing that I meant. We are getting rid of it. I mean, it's what?, 7 years old!!
wow.gif
 It is quiet, and it works great, the computer just doesn't have more than .59 gig.'s

Well, I'll probably get a new one, but all we have are Radio Shacks.
confused.gif

You should be able to get a heat sink where ever you got the fan. My fan came with the heat sink already attached and the whole thing was only $4.
I do have a question though.. how do you attach the heat sink to the glass?

I used a combination of taping the cord to the top of my tank and taping the heatsink with double sided foamy tape. Rid of the computer? I hope you donate it to a school/church/charity. We donated one of our old computers to a family here trying to get their visa - 3 cute elementary aged kids who use it to learn typing and write papers. A great cause and hey, it's also tax-deductable.

We already donated it... So, now I just gotta buy a fan and heat sink...
confused.gif

It's not so bad, try any of your local electronics stores. If you have a Fry's, CompUSA, Radio Shack, any of those should carry them for under $5.

Back