What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N hamata has hitchiker

There are no sundews kept in my highland Nepenthes terrarium but today while I was doing watering I noticed a glint of red light in the carpet of living NZ sphagnum moss on the top of the N. hamata pot. I see that a tiny sundew about 2 cm across has appeared in it. Have any of you had this happen in your moss?
It has big perfectly round leaf traps with very long tendrils and thin petioles it looks much different than my D. rotundafolia or D. spatulatas. Any ideas?

Yeah, a sundew popped upin my S.Alabamensis's pot and it growing but no idea what it is, looks like it is an Intermedia from what I can see now. But will just have to wait.
smile.gif

Yup, a couple D. burmanni popped up in my moss, along with blades of grass
confused.gif
biggrin.gif

Heck, burmanni finds its way everywhere, found 10 or so of them growing in my red dragon pot. Some seeds must've spilled from the seed pod before I had a chance to cut it off

I have a whole lawn of that annoying grass popping up. how do you get rid of them?

I do not have any binatas, and a couple of weeks ago, one popped up!  
smile.gif

biggrin.gif

tounge.gif
 free plants, I love it!

I have a wonderful mystery pygmy that appeared out of no where in my D. extrema pot.

Yeah, I have a bunch of sundews popping up in my D. Extrema pots too (about ten). Some are red, and some are green. Same goes for the pot that I have my thorelii x (maxima x stenophylla) in. That makes about twenty. Soo many sundews
smile.gif

I love hitchhikers!

I got a couple of what look like (so far) Capensises (although one is growing curiously tall) from my U. Livida pot, a few from my VFT's and one from one of my Sars. Gotta love it!

Some even became gifts....

I also got my only Binata this way (there were 3, but now there's only one), which is FLOURISHING.

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Yup, i love hitchhikers also, but some are annoying, like grass in my sphagnum moss.

I hate that! how do you get rid of it? for me, it's impossible!!!!!!!!!! I guess I'm not the only one with those probs.

That grass stuff is a pest but if you snag it when it's small and the roots haven't had a chance to wind their way deep into the pot it's easier to be rid of it for a longer period of time. I use feeding tongs/forceps to pluck it out as soon as I see any sign of it. Don't let it grow if you can because it seems like it can come back from it's roots.

It also isn't good for your CP's roots especially since they are in an enclosed root area (a pot) not the ground.

Back