What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dry pitchers

Hi All,

One of my neps' pitchers is drying up and dying, along with the stem it's on. It has another pitcher that's beautiful and doing well. Should I cut off the one that's dying? And if so would I do it at the leaf tip where the stem grows out? Or will it just fall off on its own. How long do pitchers usually last and what's the most common reason for them to die?

Thanks for your replies  
biggrin.gif

cpwitch

Cut were ever it black or brown up to so if the pitchers is brown or black with the stem that leeds to the pitcher. Then the rest of the leaf will start to brown. Pitchers on neps last from 1 week - 9 months or more.
biggrin.gif

Thanks Phil for your response. But does that mean that when a pitcher dies, the WHOLE leaf will go too? Should I just let the leaf fall off then, or should it be cut away from the stem too. It's sooo cool that you know about this stuff!

cpwitch

Typically the pitcher and tendril will turn brown long before the leaf does. I usually cut the pitcher and tendril off at the leaf tip after the pitcher has fully dried up. Once the leaf has turned brown it can be removed also. They won't fall off on their own so don't go trying to pull them off! Nice sharp scissors once they have dried up.

Tony

N.mirabilis has got thin leaves so when they turn brown, they feel stringy. I then "braid" the leaves on the wooden rod I use to support the climbing stem.
smile.gif
Saves using plastic/vecro plant ties!

Back