What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes humidity

fre8train

BANNED
What I am wondering is if this plant is going to get burned or die  due to the loss of greenhouse humidity? Does anybody else grow this plant outdoors by the ocean in southern california of similar conditions?  

My nep is under the skylight in my house, it is a nice filtered sun spot. I just took it out of the Greenhouse  (water bottle) it was growing in. She out grew it. My nep is from pet flytrap but I dont know what kind  I recently left her in no greenhouse under the skylight I live in southern california and the room it is in is connected to the bathroom where the humidity rises and drops dramaticly daily during shower usage.
   this is my weather right now
   Feels Like: 75 º  
   Dewpoint: 64º  
   Barometer: 29.96 in and rising    
   Humidity: 69%    Sunrise: 5:51 am
   Visibility: 600 mi   Sunset: 8
wow.gif
7 pm

a salty coast onshore breese may affect or may not?

Hi fre8train,

I work in Westchester, so I understand the conditions. I'd speculate that the plant is unlikely to die if the drop in humidity bothers it, but what will happen is the lids on the pitchers won't grow properly. Kinda shrunken-head looking.
If the wind is constant, that might happen. Just make sure you give it all the water it wants to keep it alive (though with ugly pitchers) Also, you might want to acclimate it slowly to its new conditions.

Would it be possible to find a larger plastic lid for your plant so that you could acclimate over the next month or so? A large ziplock freezer bag may work.

I have a plant that has acclimated to handle 40-100% humidity fluctuations. It was a n.ventricosa red from pft. Because of the conditions I put it in, it had the funky pitchers until it matured - a year and a half. If I had to do it all over again, I would have kept the humidity higher with a ziplock and have it in less wind instead of on my desk next to a window.

Hope that helps.

Your local climate will certainly play the key role in success/failure of growing Nepenthes as a normal house plant. Also important is the type of heating and any cooling system, as well as the type of Nepenthes. Some of the hardier types are quite durable and would probably survive in fairly dry climates but pitcher production might be sporadic or in worst cases nonexistant. There is only one way to really say for sure though, and that is to give it a try and see what happens. It was mentioned already but bears rementioning. Nepenthes must be adjusted slowly to new growing environments and don't be surprised if all current pitchers shrivel up.

I would also suggest this website by a southern California grower that does a good job outside with his plants. Maybe it will give you some ideas how your local climate compares.

Nep. around the house

Tony

I'm still surprised Joel (the link Tony posted) is able to grow the more difficult species outside. He has good success with N. lowii, which is already difficult to grow under more controlled terrarium conditions. So a try with these plant might be worth it - in case one is willing to risk the money for such an experiment...

Joachim

Like said the pitchers have started to dry and shrivel. The new growth looks like its tender pre-pitcher has been burned past recovery, thus I moved the Nep. further from the window and placed a Ziploc loosely around the plant to help acclimate it to the new climate. The plant never gets windburn due to the protection of the laundry room, which it lives in. I hope I don’t regret dropping the humidity

My Nep is now in a larger greenhouse to grow due to oncoming death

I have several N. ventricosa that I grow in my south facing window.  They are growing fine and putting out new leaves and pitchers.  You just have to adjust them slowly to the lower humidity found in the room.  At that time (last month) my humidity was in the mid 30% area.

I really thought that the new pitchers were doomed but when I put the dome on them again they started to grow vigorously and started developing pitchers fast and healthy. I think I will leave her to grow rapidly in the greenhouse dome and then I can clone it and try whatever with the cuttings.

Hi all:

I would like to make a comment on Lowii. Everybody says that this plant is difficult to grow. I tend to disagree with that statement!!. I know people who grows Lowii in Tropical environment (75-85 F during the day and no lower than 65 at night). They just use evaporative cooling for the temperature drop and their plants are fantastic. I do definitely agree with the fact that Lowii is a slow grower. That's is its trademark and nobody can change that. I would even dare to say that the reputation of Lowii as a difficult grower is overrated!!

Gus

Back