What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New to neps (finally pitchering)

adnedarn

I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az
Admin
I have had a few neps for a while but they never produced pitchers.   Finally they are but one of the "gubler hybrids" is doing something i'd never herd of.   When looking at the bottom of the leaves it looks like the plant was misted and it made water droplets.  Except these "droplets" are not water.  they are supper sticky.  Can someone explain this to me?  ...the plant seams to be in good condition and i don't see any bugs.  thanks!
...someone please move this to nep forum...
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
...thanks.

Moved
smile.gif

Cole

Those are the nectar glands at work. They are normal and may become covered in a black fungus. The fungus will not hurt the plants and is also a normal occurance.

The fungus Nick is reffering to is sooty mold as it looks similar to soot after a fire is burned. It can be easily wiped off with a wet cloth. I have only had sooty mold on N. truncata. It isn't harmful but makes your plant look like it has been sprayed with black spray paint all over the leaves.

Just in case any of you want to see...  I took a pic of the dew stuff...   here is the pic.
dew%20drops%20on%20nep%20leaf.jpg

Nice picture! I get those on my neps, including the pitchers. However, you have a lot of them! Looks healthy to me.

What do the pitchers look like? Do you have any idea what they are? I have a mystery nep from gublers, too, and have no idea what it is. Hopefully the next pitcher gives better clues.

Capslock

Nope, i have no idea what it is.  But the pitchers don't seam to have much age to them, so i havn't even bothered to post and figure out what it is.  but here is the newest open pitcher.  (opened today i think)
dewy%20mystry%20nep%20pitcher.jpg

any one wanna take a guess though??  
biggrin.gif
I went ahead and added it to my questions post. take a guess here. thanks

I'm not a good nep identifier....actually I stink on it lol
biggrin.gif
It looks to me like an albomarginata or something like it. But that's just me....
tounge.gif

It looks like what mine looked liek when it was younger, x Ventrata, I do believe.

It could be some other hybrid though.

Not albomarginata.

Looks like an N Ventrata to me too, but it would help to see a picture of the whole leaf to be sure. From what I've heard, most of the gubler's Neps are either N ventricosa or N Ventrata, so odds are that it's one of those two.

Jœl

Oh, the underneth with the dew drops isn't enough?  lol please view my post in the identifing plants for a top view thanks.

Definitely not N ventricosa, but that first picture, is it from the same plant or from a different one? If it's from another plant, then i'm pretty sure it's a N Ventrata.

Jœl

no, the first picture with the red color is a different one i am also trying to identify. thanks.

Back