What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this right?

Hey guys, first of all I really don't know if its a n. sanguinea or a n. ventricosa, but its pitcher's lids are kind of not opening quiet right (I think)
confused.gif
What do you guys think?
Dcp_0418.jpg

Dcp_0419.jpg

pitcher lids usally close when the humidity is to low.

it looks like a N.ventrata to me

Looks like low humidity and/or a blast of high temps. I'd water the plant too to make sure it isn't getting on the dry side.

Yep could be from a drop in humidity or if it was just repotted and needs to reestablish yet.

I am thinking a young N. Ventrata also.

Tony

It looks like a younger cutting of a N. ventrata (hybrid of N. ventricosa x N. alata) as there is almost no wings except right at the front of the peristome there are a few visible in your image, this will dissappear as the plant gets larger. It looks as though your plant was growing under not enough light (as they can be far more colorful and with a much more dramatic peristome). The humidity is now is a bit low and is what is causing the causing the lids to fall. Here is a picture of my N. ventrata pitcher grown under 240 watts of flourescent light with 80-100% humidty:

N.alatap-s.jpg

And here is a picture of the red form of N. sanguinea, note the tall peristome and much more prominent wings. less tapering "neck" leading up to the peristome and slightly peltate tendril insertion at the end of the leaf, which is far more rounded and paddleshaped than the ventrata which sort of tapers into the tendril. The photo below is from Malesiana Tropicals' site. This isn't my plant or photo I'm just putting it here to illustrate the difference. Perhaps someone with a pic of a green variety of N. sanguinea will show us something different.

nep-san1.jpg

If it's a ventrata nothing to worry about it grows very fast in bright light with high humidity. I went from a dormant node cutting to this 6" pitcher between Easter 2002 and August 2002! The plant is now a 2 foot tall lopsided mess with several basal shoots I will be chopping it down and starting over with a stake in the pot so I can "guide it" it really likes to scramble and hang over the side of a pot.

Low humidity most likely...if you are patient sometimes they will adjust to the humidity. Given if it is a reasonable humidity they should do fine.

travis

Many many thanx to all of you!!!!!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Back