What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fuzzy neps

Kate

Far too old to grow up now.
Yet again I have fallen into the "Lowes trap" and rescued 6 neps that were badly in need of a good home. Unlike the usual "dead plants in a cube" that they usually have this time they had large neps in 10 inch hanging pots. All were simply marked "Hybrid Pitcher Plants" (I won't get into the other horrible ineptitudes on the so called care lable).

I have decided that this time I would like to see how far I personally can get in pinpointing the potential parentage of these plants but one is leaving me stumped... its furry... really furry. It bares resemblance to both N. maxima and N. fusca but I can't seem to find out if either of these are furry. I know N. maxima has fuzzy pitchers, but what about the leaves? I can't seem to find anything on the pelt or lack there of on N. fusca. Course I also can't seem to find examples of leafshape for either of these two...

So my question is, how many neps are fuzzy and what are they? and of these how many have fuzz on both leaves and pitchers, or do they all have this trait?

Edit: Pics are on their way once I have made my guesses so that I can get the guesses of everyone else. I know that I will never know for sure, but I can't be the only freak that actualy likes playing "Name that Nep" am I?

N. ampullaria has fuzzy leaves.

N. Khasiana have fussy pitchers and fuzzy urns. N. Rajah leafs are fuzzy. N. Maxima leafs are a little fuzzy.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Many Nepenthes have some fuzz to one degree or another. Now if your asking what is the likely hood that an unnamed hybrid from a garden center has fuzzy pitchers and or leaves. Odds are it has N. maxima or N. veitchii in it

Tony

If you can take pics, it would be really helpful. Nepenthes that are known for their hairyness are N. pilosa, N. veitchii, to some extent N. truncata, ooh, and N. stenophylla. Look theese plants up on google to see if it might be one of them.

i would guess it would be N.judith finn or N.tobiaca. never know it could be even labled wrong as a hybrid. Kate there are alot of possiblities what it could be. like you said before put a picture up. feel lucky that you even found them in a store around you.

HiCan yo tell me the state you live in that you prcased these plants.Can you aso tell me how much the plants are. And can you post a pic, you know by know that this PFT forum is great at I.d. nepenthes. I just want to help as best as possible. --Phil
biggrin.gif

N. stenophylla, N. fallax, N. veitchii, N. hirsuta (of course) all can be very hairy.

I would guess you most likely have a N. veitchii hybrid, N. x judith finn (veitchii x spathulata) is commonly sold as an unnamed hybrid. You may also want to try to find pictures of N. veitchii x maxima (I think this is named N. x tiveyi, but I'm not sure).

N. fusca isn't particularly hairy, especially not compared to some of those others.

Phil, she lives in Naples,Florida

phil traper: purchased in Naples, Florida (same as in my sig.
biggrin.gif
) Paid either $15 or $19 per pot, I don't remember which, was buying greenhouse construction materials at the time, each pot had 2 plants, and all are in deplorable condition (burned leaves, heavy calcification and mineral build-up on the leaves and in the soil, dead rotting leaves, completely dry soil, crushed broken pitchers, the horrors go on). They are recovering nicely though.

Pics are comming up, (I'll start a new thread) I've had my fun trying to ID them, just waiting for the battery to charge in the camera.

You are so lucky your Lowes sells neps. Mine sells everything but neps arhhahh. How big are the plants? And how big are the pitches?-Phil
biggrin.gif

I'm not sure how big they are so here's a pic
Allnep.jpg

The pic is fuzzy (don't have the digital cam today lent it to a friend so I was using the video camera) but the red circled pots are 4" the purple circled are 8" the one that isn't circled is one I've had since januaray.

Here's one of the 8" pots that I am pretty sure is one of the many N. mirabilis x (rafflesiana x ampullaria) mixes.

Nmirx.jpg

ok i went into the lowes in east Bradenton and there was about a dozen or so N.cocc. that are hanging on the rack. most of the pitchers are dried up and looks like they all need to be water. i asked the ladie for a discount and she was cool enough to take 1/2 off the plant. only had enought to buy one so that is all i picked up. so i desided to leave it at my moms work to add to the other one i have here i picked up for her.

truncata
lowii
tenticulia?
(rokko x veitchii) x fusca
i woulden't think maxima becouse rokko =(throlii x maxima) and my female and my little adult have no fuzz

Back