What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

highland, lowland, let\'s call the whole thing off

DUH! I feel stupid. I live in the U.S. and it seems (from ur quip) that you live in Israel. Heheheheh... I think living in Virginia is getting to me. :confused:

That's what I've been wondering about Melanesia Tropicals, they say they don't charge anything for Photosanitary tickets and will ship in pots. But companies who distribute plants from them list all sorts of problems. Is this just a way of avoiding competition or is it really a PITA to import plants from SE Asia and/or Germany?

How do the plants arrive? Fed Ex's delivery around here is completely worthless. I nearly had to sue em to give up my MH reflectors and water pumps! 8-(

I have ordered a couple times from Malesiana Tropicals.. It does take thema few weeks to a month to get the neccessary permits ready. It also means they can't be very flexible with your order...If you want to change your order, they to re-apply for the permits. S&His also very expensive. I believe it was &#3660 for &#3660 worth of plants, and I ended up paying an additional &#3620 for "import duty." I suppose the last fee is a Japan-only thing. My newest order has been delayed several times because they are waiting for one plant to grow larger for shipping... I'm moving soon, so if they don't get here soon..
sad.gif
.. They have a lot of unique Nepenthes, at good prices, but you have to order a bunch of plants to cover the S&H.. OK, I'll move on now and stop turning this thread into "Why Pat is upset with MT" ....

Patrick

So if I called up Malesiana Tropicals and said "I want a N. Jiggamawhat!", they would do all the cites stuff for me? I thought I had to apply for that stuff. Could the shipping be less if I did the stuff myself and can I do this stuff my self? Where am I? What's this discussion about? Aaaaaah! :biggin:

Wow, I can't type! :biggrin:

To keep things short and sweet.

To send plant material internationally:

The shipper needs proper export permits and documents from his country of origin for the plants he is sending to meet his own countries export requirements and the country he is sending them to import requirements.

The receiver needs proper import permits and documents for his own country that apply to the plants he is bringing in.

T

How do you get import permits and documents?

And why is it made so hairbrained to order a plant from Maylasia?

It is usually money and greed as we all know it. BUT not true this time! The reason is that plant material coming to the US has to be inspected first for ANY diseases as we don't want to bring in anymore into the country! But after that you have the import permits for saying that you have had those plants inspected and passed by US Dept of Agriculture. I think this is all right. Right?
smile.gif

It was not that difficult for me to actually get the plants from Malaysia (to Japan): MT took care of all of the paperwork (I did nothing but pay). It might be different fo the US. If you really want to know, contact sales@malesiana.tropicals.com.my or whatever the email address is, and ask them. :biggrin:

pat

(Edited by trashcan at 8
wow.gif
4 pm on May 17, 2002)

Back