What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

highland, lowland, let\'s call the whole thing off

I'm curious as to the need for the highland Nepenthes to be subjected to the much cooler night temperatures. Will it damage a Nepenthes who is a highland species to be grown as an intermediate (apx 70* at night and 80-85* during the) day so long as the humiditity is near saturation? WIll these type of conditions work for all nepenthes species?

I don't have a specific plant in mind, my mind is just wandering... :cool:

(Edited by swords at 12:25 pm on May 12, 2002)

Some highland plants may slowly decline in health if subjected to long periods of warm night temperatures. Basically what happens is the plant is using up its food reserves and resources while respiring at night. The warmer the temperature the faster these plant functions proceed. Highland plants adapted to cool temperatures may use up their food reserves before the sun shines again if temperatures are too warm. The result is they slowly starve themselves.
Tony

From my experience this drop in temperature isn't enough for ultra-highland plants like N. villosa or N. rajah which do stand light frosts in their natural habit. They'll decline with time. Other species from lower elevations may be able to grow under these conditions but this strongly depends on species and clone you are growing and of course they won't grow as nice as under highland conditions.

Joachim

The only highland plant I have known to withstand your conditons would be N.Burbidgea. It will only pitcher when the nights are mild. It is a hihgland palnt but like it somewaht warmer, like about 60F at night. But yes the other hihgland palnts will be exhausted with intermedaite conditons unless the intermediate conditons are more toward hihgland. But yeah, if you put a Rajah or Villosa or other palnt like that in with let's say an N.Gracilis it wouldn't be very nice looking after a few days.
smile.gif

Thanks folks,
I was just curious as to how warm nights could possibly hurt a plant, now I see!

Let me ask you (I have no immediate plants to buy a rajah...) but how do you simulate 75* days and then near frosty nights? What kind of setup would you need to do to grow one of those "ultra highlanders"?

Stimulating 75F in the day would require a sun heated terrarium and near frost level nights would be not needed unless you grow N.Villosa!
smile.gif
Now my specialty Ultrahighland Nepenthes. My setup consists of 3 frozen solid bottles: 1 placed in a small cup of water and the other two are suspended in the air. Next my Ultrasonic humidifier is on and that makes 100% condensation on the plants which Ultrahighlands need. A picture of my setup I will post later tonight.

Swords, as I promised you my setup for N.Rajah/Ultrahihgland Nepenthes described above.

9998893-767c-01600120-.jpg

9998900-b6e1-01600120-.jpg

Nep G that's awesome! In true DIY spirit and everything!
:cool:

A lot of work for one lil plant though (too much for me)!

That is what all of the PFT members said when they saw it!
smile.gif
And actually not only 1 little 4 inch N.Rajah, the terrarium also houses a small N.madagascariensis as seen in photo #2. The Rajah is seen in photo #1. I will be adding N.Lowii,N.Villosa and hopefully N.Macrophylla and N.Edwardsiana in time. The Macrok, and Edward I am not concerned about the price but the avilablity and WHERE to get them! *IF ANYONE KNOWS WHERE TO GET THESE 2 NEPENTHES (N.EDWARDSIANA,N.MACROPHYLLA) MEESAGE ME PLEASE!* I am also aware that N.Edwardsiana isn't currently KNOWN in cultivation yet but I put it up there anyways.
wink.gif

Andreas does not have edwardsiana. He does have edwardsiana ssp. macrophylla from time to time.

Tony

What about the true Macrophylla? Not Edwardsiana subsp. Macrophylla. I want the true-blue froms of these palnts just the palin N.Edwardsiana and the plain N.Macrophylla.

Macrophylla and edwardsiana ssp macrophylla are the same thing.. Just depends which taxonomist you talk to.
T

Ohh OK! I had a totally mistunderstanding that there were 3 palnts in the Macrophylla and Edwardsiana complex. OK so where can I obtain a N.Macrophylla? * Use messanger PLEASE.
smile.gif

Does Andreas ship to the USA? Since there are prices in US &#36&#36 and in Euros I assume this guy lives in Sweden or Germany?
What's the usual time it takes to get orders from this fellow?

(Edited by swords at 5:15 am on May 14, 2002)

Andreas lives in Germany and he delivers to the USA as he states on his list. Shipping times depend on weather and availability. Just ask him. I had to wait for my orders as short as three weeks up to nearly six months...

BTW just curious but its funny to see that getting some Nepenthes species is way easier here in Geramny than in the USA. Even as large plants as the one you can see on my PFT-page can be obtained, but this dealer doesn't ship to the USA.

Joachim

Andreas Wistube ship worldwide
Yes it seems like in Germany there are few very good growers of Nepenthes and you could find in Germany lot of so called rare species . Throw my visit in Germany 2 years ago I visit lot of them and I can say they offer very good stuff some time there is a problem as plants could be quite tiny and the prices isn't cheap. Another good point is that Phyto and Cities papers aren't expensive as they are from Australia so need to make a good checking be4 order from any source.
arie

True, Arie but in his last brochure he says he has a distributor here and you don't need CITES and such. Is this true? Yar!

that's true!!!!

Back