What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Houseplant Nepenthes

D

Doug W

What Nepenthes are people successfully growing ( ie pitchering) as a houseplant, not in a terrarium? For how long? Please try to estimate your humidity and light conditions.

I have found N. Coccinea to do well and am still struggling with N. Truncata and N. Khasianna. My humidity ranges from 50% in the day at 80F to about 60% at night at 76F. They are in a SE window but only get direct sun for a couple of hours.

Terrariums are fun but incorporating the plants into your environment seems like a better way to grow and enjoy them.

Thanks!

Doug W

All right. I've had a khasiana for about half a year now that grows quite well. I can't give you an accurate measurement of the humidity it's in, but I can tell you it's on an east windowsill that gets 3-4 hours of direct sun with bright shade until about 7
wow.gif
0. From sunrise to fall is about 12 hours. I keep it in a tray with about a half in., of water which I refiil once it dries out. I've had a ventricosa in the same conditions for about a week( got it two weeks ago). On my west windowsill I have a giant form of rafflesiana and a truncata that I got two weeks ago. They are in very similar conditions, although the west window gets warmer. The truncata is almost done forming its first pitcher( since I've had it). I also have three 'Judith Finn' That I slowly took out of their terrarium about a week ago, and are doing just fine. My largest one has produced a 3 in. pitcher. I didn't know a coccinea could be grown on a windowsill, cool! Did you accurately measure your humidity?

I tried a N. coccinea on my eastern windowsill but it just dried up very quickly (so I made cuttings and saved some of it in my terrariums) but my house is about 30%-40% humidity year round til about August/Sept when it's closer to 100%. If you're lucky enough with good humidity I'd definately say try them out of the terrariums.

I am surprised also that the xCoccinea is doing fine while truncata and khasiana are giving you trouble with pitchers. I grew truncata in an east window and khasiana in a west window for over 2 years and they grew and pitchered fine with the occasional difficulty during the middle of the winter when the heat/woodstove is going. I don't have any humidity readings since whatever it is outside it is inside. Perhaps the two your not having great results with are still adjusting to their home?? Don't be surprised if it takes 3-4 months or longer. Also I currently have a xVentrata on my west windowsill which does fine.
Tony

I've got N. Ventricosa (Red) growing rather happily on a northern facing windowsill. It gets pretty toasty here in southern CA, so it's getting full indirect sunlight all day. Currently humidity is about 40-80% inside my home, temps 50-90 degrees F.

It's fairly young as I got it from Exotic Gardens in Feb, 4" pot.
ventricosa.jpg

Tony, is that the Truncata that is now in your G-house?
confused.gif
Or do you still have a truncata in your house?

How large is the truncata( pitchers)?

That was the big plant in the GH. It was in the house up until last winter so it was in the GH for a few months before you saw it. Only that newest pitcher you saw was made in the greenhouse. So you can see it did quite well on my east window. It was about 3 inches across when I got the plant about 2 years earlier, and was on that windowsill until I moved it.

My bigger truncata? hmm 14" across with 12" tall pitchers maybe.. Haven't measured it lately. It is still small by mature truncata standards but it is getting there.
Tony

Large enough for my satisfaction
smile.gif

Ohh OK, I am adjusting my Truncata to the windowsill and it seems to fair well with the humidity at 60-70% as I have 2 humidifiers running. I have the Ultrasonic pouring fog all over the entire plant and it likes it much! Why, the largest pitcher (8inches) is doing VERY good with low humdity and hasn't wilted! I am very ahppy with the progress. I hope it gets as big as the one in your g-house!
wow.gif
That would be something! Nate, if you saw Tony's Trucnata in the g-house you wouldn't be saying </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Large enough for my satisfaction [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'> You'd be saying Wow! Huge for my satisfaction!
biggrin.gif

It could be that the Khasianna and Truncata just have not acclimatized yet. They were rooted cuttings that I planted 2-3 months ago. The Coccinea was a well established plant, 18" across with two growth points. It has produced 4 pitchers in the 2-3 months that I have had it.

I measure the humidity with an Omega brand digital pocket hygrometer. It's very handy and responds quickly. It is interesting to find so many 'microclimes' around the house and yard. Location really does make a difference.

I have an Ampullaria that just sat idle for 3-4 months, then all of a sudden, out popped 4 large pitchers and it hasn't stopped since. Course, that's in a terrarium under 100w metal halide in 80-100% humidity.

I would still prefer to grow Nepenthes out in a room.
Doug

Same here. A terrarium serves as a barrier between you and your plants. That's why I try my best to acclimmate my favorite nepenthes to the windowsill, although I know they would be happier in a terrarium.

Same here. A terrarium serves as a barrier between you and your plants. That's why I try my best to acclimmate my favorite nepenthes to the windowsill, although I know they would be happier in a terrarium.

Doug W, is there a website where you can buy an Omega Hygrometer like yours? If so could you message me or post here? Thanks!

Me too Doug!
Rosie

The pocket humidity meter is the model PTH-1xa and it is available at www.Omega.com. It costs $49 plus shipping.

It's a fun toy!

DW

Got to get me one of them gadgets( trying to talk hillbilly)!

Thanks Doug W, a little $$$ but I'll check it out. Thanks!

Back