What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. maxima x fusca

Pyro

N=R* fs fp ne fl fi fc L
I recieved some Nep seeds for a rathe complex hybrid. One of the parents is the above mentioned and the other is spathulata x spectabilis. I am just trying to predict what these mutts (I use the term with affection) are going to look like. I have found a couple pics of the spath x spect but can't for the life of me track down maxima x fusca.

Does anyone out there have one?

Pyro

Can't seem to locate a picture either.

Maxima and fusca are pretty similar. I would expect the lower pitchers to be spotted purple with a broad striped or purple peristome..

On the hybrids I would expect lower pitchers to be heavily marked with red/purple with red/purple (perhaps some striping) broad peristomes. Shape ? got me..

I think it will be a very colorful hybrid ;>
Tony

Thanks Tony,

That was kind of what I was predicting I just figured a picture would help firm it up.

Pyro

Thank you very much Dyflam, that is perfect.

So now I am going to predict that the plant will has lots and lots of splotching, semi large peristomes that are dark in colour and the lid will be fairly erect. I also predict that the pitchers will be large.

Now all we have to do is wait the 5 or so years it is going to take to get a decent sized plant.

Pyro

Hey I got then same seeds and they are doing well for me.

Dyflam,
Is that a great website for pictures or what. Another one of those websites where whoever did it was a genius.  But seriously we should try to get Phill Mann to join the forums, he has alot of very hard to obtain experience and information that would be great to share.
And if the seeds came from the ICPS seedbank they came from Phill to start with, so he should know what they will look like.

Cheers

Pete,

If you (or Tamlin or someone else who knows him) can get Phill in here I know he would be well recieved, like you said, he has some exceptional knowledge.

Pyro

Back