What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes first aid...

I received my Nepenthes yesterday, and these are my first ever (after much success with VFT's and sundews, I decided to foray into these more esoteric plants).

I have few questions with regards to getting them acquainted with their new environment.

First off, many of the pitchers were browning upon arrival, some partially, others completely, but should these be removed or can a partially browned pitcher be saved? Similarly, should brown leaves be removed?

Since they have been confined in a dark box for a couple of days, should I gradually introduce them back into the light, or should I immediately start a full blast 12 hour cycle?

I'll be buying a terrarium today, so hopefully they'll be more comfortable tonight. If anyone has any last minute tips, pointers, or warnings with regards to highland terrariums, please let me know!

The plants, FYI, are ventricosa, sanguinea, judith finn, and rafflesiana. Thanks in advance for your advice!

Leo

I had a ventricosa browning pitcher that was saved for about two months. The browning was on the top half, and I noticed that first week that if the pitcher was dry, the browning continued quickly. So what I did was keep the normal part of the pitcher filled with water, the browning continued only very, very slowly. Finally when the pitcher was completely brown I cut that part off, the leaf and vine part stayed green and healthy. Since it's been in the box for days, I wouldn't want to shock the plant. Give it some filtered light for a day or two, then go mostly full blast for a day, etc. Hope that helps.

I would remove any browned material. You can add some water to the pitchers that are still green or partly green. More importantly keep and eye out for any repidly progressing brown areas which would indicate a potential pathogen.

You mentioned highland terrarium and rafflesiana. Rafflesiana is a pretty durable plant and can take a wide range of temps and moisture levels. Grown in highland conditions for a prolonged period will cause it to decline however. If you shoot for night temps in the mid 60s (more intermediate than highland) all the plants you mention would do fine.
Tony

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tony Paroubek @ June 14 2002,11:32)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If you shoot for night temps in the mid 60s (more intermediate than highland) all the plants you mention would do fine.
Tony[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
I won't be able to go much lower than 60 here in LA anyway (unless I put ice in the tank or something), so I guess the rafflesiana will be happy. Alternately, I might try the rafflesiana on my windowsill, and make my terrarium purely highland.

Thanks for the replies!

Back