What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. Inermis

timbudtwo

Shoopdawoop
Im gettin a nepenthes inermis soon and im getting it from wistuba, who says it is an easy one to grow. I just need some instructions on how to Grow the bugger!

It's a highland so keep it cool at night 60-65F and humidity high 60-80% and plant in Sphagnum in my opinion . Also this palnt should be easy for you just be gentle with it as if it's coming from overseas to will be quite tramatized. But treat it as a true highland and what size will it be? 3-5 inches? If so palnt it in a 6-8 inch pot to start it off.

Nepenthes gracilis can I grow Inermis as an ultrahighland with nightly lows in the 50s? Thanks.

Nep G. Wistuba now has a distrobuter in the us, so he doesnt have to ship it overseas
biggrin.gif
. I was planning on putting it in a 4 inch pot, is that okay?

Tim, it depends how big the plant is.

So, how big is the plant?

4 inch pots should be fine. N. inermis Andreas shipped two months ago (to me :) ) had an diameter of about 6-8cm / 2.5-3 inch. I hope you plan to grow them inside a terrarium. On a windowsill you'll kill them in very few days as they aren't hardened of for this and I do suspect this could be done successfully for N. inermis.

Standard Nepenthes soil mix should be fine for N. inermis. Even only after two months I would say they do grow much faster than most other highland species.

Joachim

I was thinking how much I like the Inermis pitchers but the only ones I've seen are uppers, whats a baby inermis pitcher look like? Anyone got a photo of theirs they could put up?

Virus, yeah you can, most any other highland can be Ultrahighlands! I am goign to try N.inermis that way someday. Anyone else care to vioce thier thgouhts on Inermis as an Ultrahighland?

Timbudtwo, message me on the dist. I would be interested in it.

Swords ask Tony about an Inermis picture. He has some Inermis at his G-house, and to think I got to see it in person.
smile.gif
but yeah he should have a picture of it, probably will post it up for you.

NinermisCR.jpg

Martin had posted a picture of his that looked only slightly larger than mine and the pitchers were starting to flare open more. I am suspecting that they will go into upper pitcher mode at a fairly young age.
Tony

Cool - thanks Tony!
smile.gif

i was planning on giving it high humidity then slowly lowering it down to waht i grow my ventrosicas at. My room has a pretty good humidity in the first place so i dont think i should have a problem.

The leaves on inermis seem to be fairly thick and waxy. I think it would be worth a try at least to see how it does.
Tony

Although a true highland plant, this species is fairly easy, and will endure daytime highs
up to 30 C, with overnight lows of 17 C. However, I suspect that it is more comfortable
in a range of 25 to 10 C. It is fairly vigorous, and produces a number of basal shoots when
vines get long. I have not found it easy to root cuttings however; all attempts so far have
failed. It may be a good candidate for airlayering.

Air layering is taking a long Nepenthes vine, notching it and covering the notch with spahgnum moss usually. Plantlets should sprout fomr the nothced area.

Regarding airlayering, in the case of Nepenthes, "plantlets" do not
sprout from the cut area. Rather, roots eventually appear at this location, and
the segment of vine with new roots may then be cut free and planted on its own.

I meant to say they WILL as why would you perform air layering anyways? just to get roots and NO plantlets?
tounge.gif
I am sure Raw knew what I meant anyway.

Back