What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

please help

After buying my first Nep yesterday, I took it home and let it sit in some distilled water for about 2 hours. I then took it out so it could drain, then I headed for bed. When I woke up this morning the two pitchers that the plant had are laying on their sides and quite a few of the leaves are wilted. I am very worried that I will kill this plant, but I really really don't want to. Any help at all would be much appreciated, what the heck could I have done wrong to this plant that made it wilt over night, ahhhhhhhhhhh
sad.gif
sad.gif
sad.gif
sad.gif
sad.gif

Hmmm you couldn't have overwatered it. What humidity and temperature was it in?

I had it in about a 73 F temp.  I just kept it in my room because it was storming outside, I am completley clueless on what I could've done wrong here?  The plant is now outside in partial sun, the soil is perfectly moist also, not soaking wet, and not dry.
confused.gif

confused.gif

confused.gif

sad.gif

sad.gif

Hmmm....interesting. I am clueless EXCEPT it COULD have had a super low humidity drop like from 80% to 10% but that is highly unlikely. I would say that it was just a phenominon. But truelly I have no idea! As long as the plant looks normal again i wouldn't worry. Just keep an eye on it.

I am guessing that the plant was greenhouse grown and packaged in a plastic container?

Clearly what has happened is the plant is wilted from a sudden drop in humidity. Most Nepenthes are extreamly sensitive to growing environment changes. Particularly when going to a less humid one. The good news based on your description from the other string, is that you probably have one of the mass produced hybrids which are quite hardy but only once they have adjusted to their new home. I would suggest you take the plant inside put it in a clear plastic bag in a location that does not get any direct sun (or you will have cooked Nepenthes). Mist the plant lightly to help increase the humidity quickly. Then leave a little opening in the top of the bag and slowly over a period of a couple weeks or so open the bag up a little. Watch for signs of wilting as you do this (particularly noticable on the young leaves first). Keep the plant moist but not soaking wet.
Tony

Its the humidity. That hapened to one of my plants. Put it in a bag dome.

May be in shock
wow.gif
. I bought a pitcher plant from a store and looked really back. Now two months later it is doing alot better (not great but better). I think if you just give it go care it will recover (just adjusting from shock).

travis

I sure hope it will recover, the plant is really small right now and I hope it is just shock that it is experiencing right now, it is an amazing plant. I couldn't belive it when I saw it at the store, it was a bit expensive but if it recovers it will be well worth it

Out of curosity how much did you pay for this plant?

What kind of Nepenthes is it? When I moved into my new flat one year ago, I had no place for the x ventrata, so I simply put it into the bathroom. There it stood for half a year in a dark cornerm taking humidy as low as 35% and tempratures of under 10°C. I think I gave her water about four times in that periot. It didnt die (it made no pitchers off course). So I cant understand how someone can kill a plant in one day. Either its an ultra senisble highland species or you have put it into acid
wink.gif

Anyway, knowing what kind of Nep it is would help a lot.

PS: I hope you used destilled water

I payed $8 for this plant, which won't break my bank but a bit pricey. It is hard to tell what kind of Nep it is because it is so small, I did use distilled water for the plant. I put a bag over the plant a few days ago, so there would be more humidity around the plant like some of you said to do, and it is not looking any better. The leaves look really weak, and the two small pitchers it has are laying on their sides
sad.gif

If there is green there is hope...patience is key too
wink.gif
My D. Capensis is finally coming out of shock after two months. I will see if I can post a picture later on (need a camera).

travis

lol @ Travis a D.Capensis in shock! lol.
smile.gif

I doubt your Nep is an Ultrahighland, Ultrahighlands must be purchased from large Nepenthes nursury's. You think 8 dollars is alot? I usually spend 50-80 dollars everytime I buy a few Nepenthes.

I am poor though, so it is a lot of money compared to the 3 to 4 dollar VFT's that I usually buy. I wish I could spend 50-80 dollars on plants, and if I could I think I surely would
biggrin.gif
I am not an expert at this plant stuff, all I know is I love and cherish the CP's that I do have, I don't know what I would do with out them. They really truly bring a lot of joy into my life, I know it might sound crazy that a few little (and big) venus fly traps and a few pitcher plants could actually do this, but they do. Thanks for all the help with my first Nep. I guess I will just have to wait and be more patient to see what happens.

Back