What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

my new nep

I bought a new nep about 2 weeks ago(Gublers). It is in good condition and growing really fast. But it looks like a pitcher that is growing is brown or burnt but it is still swelling up larger and larger. My question is can a nep grow a burned pitcher or does it just look burned now or what?

John

On some types of Nepenthes the pitcher appears "burnt" becasue of the dense hairs that will cover the pitcher when it will be mature. Take N.Clipeata for instance. My plant makes VERY dark brown immature pitcher buds and after they swell up thwe pitcher is VERY hairy and velvety. Of course it COULD be burned by sunlight perhaps. Just let it go and see what happens. My thoughts are it probably is just cell growth that need to expand yet and then the "burnt" spots will disappear as the hairs from the "burnt" areas move to cover the pitcher.

Hi

You could try misting it ( I mist my plants around 2-5 times daily, depending on sunlite )
Hope I could help.
John

Back