What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just got some Nepenthes seeds

NickHubbell

It’s a trap!
Hello, I just received some seeds from N. mirabilis, N. gracilis, and some unknamed hybrids.

I am planning on planting these in 6 pots with chopped sphagnum moss. I will be placing them in a small aquarium with fluorecent lighting. I will be keeping the temperatures between 80-90°F. I am getting a bottom tank dry heater for reptiles for the heat source.

Anyone have photos of Nepenthes seeds that I can compare these with? Any tips would be welcome. These seeds are suppose to be fresh from the plants. I hope to have them potted tomorrow night.

Nick

Aloha,

I usually fill a pot with wet peat moss...sprinkle the nep seeds on top, and then cover with about a sixteenth inch of silica sand. I have great germination. Heat can help at times and also differences in light. If you don't get good germination in a reasonable amount of time, try a little less/more light. Keep everything damp....good luck.

Kim

This picture didn't come out well. However, here are the seeds from N. gracilis.

Nep_gracilis_seeds.jpg

Well, each pot has seedlings. N. mirabilis, N. gracilis and the unknamed hybrids. Now, I just need to get pots for all these little plants.

Nick

nickhubble, what was the germination time period w/ them? i have some seeds germinating right now and it has been like 2-2 1/2 weeks. also what was the germination % on them?

hehe, that is how many sprout!
smile.gif
I find nepenthes seed very finicky. You need to get it FRESH otherwise germination isn't that good. So all I can say is GOOD LUCK.

N.Grac. yes luck is the word for it but, i did check one of the pots a couple of days ago and there is something growing in it. not shore what it is yet cause i have never seen a seedling up close yet.

Germination for the N. mirabilis and N. gracilis are roughly 50%. The unknown hybrid only has 3 sprouts. I was sent 20 seeds of each.

Low germination could be due to low temps during shipment of the seeds. The age of the seed is also unknown.

The seeds were sown in moistened dried long fiber sphagnum and placed in ziplock bags on 10/7/2002. Temperature was between 70-75°F and light was provided by a 800 lumen compact fluorescent. The seedlings are now under 80 watts of full spectrum lighting.

The seedlings look like new grass growing.

I was not able to get a heating mat to keep the temperatures higher. However, I am happy with the results thus far. I was doubting that i would even get one sprout.

Nick

that is pretty good % rate for the N. Grac. & N. Mirabilis.
i might want to move my seed into a cooler spot than they are in right now. they might be to hot where i have them. well if they look like fresh grass growing well there just might be one in there then
smile.gif
plus i should start putting dates on the name tags to when they where started.

I have just completed the sowing of Nepenthes (clip x vent) x (clip x vent) and Nepenthes ventricosa. These came from the ICPS seed bank. I have roughly 50 seeds of each.

My biggest task is keeping these alive. I am slowly turning the corner of my basement into a growing area. Still need to add a few more lights and get the heat up. Although it is almost a constant 70°F with the furance runnning ( no windows ). The room I wanted to use ( with windows ) varies betwen 55-75°F with a few colder spells during the night.

Nick

Back