What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drying n.gracilis?

Hi all, I was looking at my Nep.Gracilis and realised that one stem (I assume that's the right term for the stuff coming out of the soil
smile.gif
) has turned brown from the bottom. The pitchers along this brown stem have either withered or are in the process of becoming so. Yet, the latter half of the brown stem still has healthy looking pitchers and green leaves.

Is there a problem with my plant? There are 3 other stems coming out of the same spot in the soil as the brown stem, and these 3 others are green.

Is there anything I shld do?
Some images are attached below to make things clearer. Thanks in advance!

nep1.jpg

nep2.jpg

nep3.jpg

Unfortunately Geocities won't let you remote load images on another server.

Sounds like the one stem is just getting older and the bottom section is getting woody.  If the top is still healthy then there is not too much to worry about.  You could cut it back to try and get some shoots to sprout around the bottom if you wanted.
Tony

O I should add that you probably want to keep an eye on it. If the brown progresses very rapidly up the stem then there is a problem. Just on the off chance that there is something wrong.

Hi,

Two things is happening or will happen:
1. The stem is old and turns brown. Normal, 'cos neps are vines. The upper portion remains green and grows longer and continues to pitcher. You'll see upper pitchers quite soon.

2. There are basal shoots growing. The old stem turns brown and the browning, you noticed is moving up quite quickly. The basal shoots are "absorbing" nutrients from the main stem and the leaves start to stop pitchering.  The main stem eventually turns all brown and there are no green leaves left.

If it's 2, then what I'll do is to take a cutting(s) from whatever green portion that is left.  Why waste that remaining 2-3 inch if it will turn brown eventually?

I have a gracilis that puts out basal shoots like crazy! Notice how the other stems are brown...occasionally one of them stops pitchering and I watch the browning...if I see it moving up real fast, I will take cuttings.

gracilis7reduced.jpg

gracilis8.jpg

These photos were taken about a month apart.  
smile.gif

Thanks Tony and Cindy for all the very helpful replies. First of all, can anyone see the pics? If not, I'll have to find an alternative server.

Cindy, I am most interested in making the cuttings as u have done. Cld u advise me on how it's to be done with reference to my pics? Do I just slice off the part which is green (along with all the pitchers) and stick the whole stem into soil?

Which brings another question, what soil shld I use? The Rafflesiana I bought from SPA has what appears to be normal soil (orange-brown colour). Is that ok?

Hi again, I've relocated my pics to another server, hopefully they can be seen now. Thanks!

The same problem seems to be affecting my rafflesiana. The bottom part of the stem is brown too! Is there anything wrong with it?

rafflesiana4.jpg

Back