What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Quick question

To cut or not to cut?

N_Coccinea_071003.jpg

Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him, Horatio...

rolleyes.gif

Jœl

A short advice to my good friend: You should. LOL
biggrin.gif

hmmmm... on the other hand, it could be interesting to see what it does....

Or maybe not... it might take over your house... Load Bearing Nepenthes?

Cut away! You will have alot of growth points. And maybe a basal shoot or two.
smile.gif

It depends on what you want to do. I HAVE to cut my plants when they get longer than a foot or two because they grow inside in terrariums. But as you know, Nepenthes grow as vines and if you set it next to a small diameter trellis the pitcher tendrils will grasp and the plant will climb and you will get upper pitchers and maybe it will flower too!

Very nice N. Coccinea are you growing this just like this on your front step? That's very lucky!
smile.gif

I might just wait and let it flower before cutting.

If it does flower take some photos and try to find out whether it is male or female. Then when you trade cuttings you can tell them what sex it is (and prove it with photos).

It will be nice in a few years when more Nep plants have flowered around the world in cultivation and people can start trading cuttings knowing the sexes of the plants they're getting so breeding and hybridizing will become so much more space and time efficient. No more raising 3 of the same species and none of them end up being female 5 years down the road!
sad.gif

I grow this N coccinea plant in a shadehouse in my backyard. Changes in humidity don't seem to affect it much, but I have noticed that it does produce A LOT of roots compared with most of my other plants (my N khasiana plant does the same thing). I orignially cut the plant back at the beginning of the year because it was getting a little too tall, but it didn't get the hint and is now just as tall as before, but with 4 growing points! :S I'm gonna look for a place to plant it in the ground, just to see what it'll do.

Jœl

Back