What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sanguinea

I got a Sanguinea two weeks ago and it seems to be doing okay. It's making a new piture and everything. Now, I didn't find a lot of spisific info on this plant. Any tips or tricks? I'd like to move it outside at some point, but I don't want to accidently kill it, it is super ultra pretty! Counting the new trap it has 4 pitchers, each about 4 inches long. The plant it'self is a cutting about 2 inches tall.

Darcie,
I have mine outside on the porch railing. It gets filtered (through the trees) light in the early morning, maybe a 1/2 hour to and hour of direct sun, at high noon (when the sun clears the trees, but doesn't get blocked by the house), and then indirect light the rest of the day. Our weather pattern here has been favorable, with high humidity, warm days and cool night (mid to high 60's at night). Hope that helps!

Malesiana lists them as highlanders tolerant of lowland conditions. I hope this is true, since I ordered a few and I have a very equatorial climate.

I grow my N. sanguinea with my N. gracilis, N. bicalcarata, N. rafflesiana, and N. ampullaria. It is one of my best pitchering Nepenthes, if not the best. It gets temps of 72°F to 90°F ( 90° is only a temp high on really hot days ). The humidity level is above 70%. Mine are grown indoors under lights.

Hi Darcie,
My sanguinea recieves 5 hours of filtered sunlight (using 2 layers of garden net) together with my maxima,ventricosa and alata. Eversince I started exposing this plant to more sunlight (before it used to be 1.5 hours only) it never stop to produce beautiful red spotted pitchers. I only use coconut husk as my medium and every two months I added some organic fertilizer that I bought from a local garden shop. This is the current setup that works best for my N.sanguinea but let me remind you that each setup may not always work for everyone. So if you intend to try something that you havent done yet for your Neps, then you should babysit it for a while and be sensitive enough to know if something aint right with your plant. In that way, you can minimize the damage that it might bring. Goodluck.

smile.gif
K, thanks everyone.

I think I will be putting it in my window at school so I'll have to see how it does their. Right now I have it in an indirect light room with my other plants and other then getting a little lighter on the new pitcher, it is growing quite nicely. I'm guessing it's new pitcher will be about 4 inches long when it finally matures
smile.gif
weeeee!

Back