What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another one to guess

Hi,

do you know what this is?

N_J.jpg

N_K.jpg

Sorry no tips and nothing to win here...
wink.gif

Joachim

Joachim,
what ya mean nothing to win that takes all the fun out of it but any way i would haveto say N.villosa

Looks like N. lowii to me....

Initially I would agree with Neps but I think Joachim has lowii already so I am going to guess ephippiata

Put me down for N. lowii also!

My other potential guess would be N. x Trusmadiensis.  However the plant is still quite young with a fairly undefined peristome, but I have seen very small plants of N. x Trusmadiensis at this size and they are distinguishable.  
Tony

i don't think it is N.lowii the leaves are pointed. N.lowii are more round at the end. also there is fur on the pitcher and leaves but, the shape of the pitchers do look like N.lowii.

N. lowii is pretty furry. I see what you mean about the leaf shape. Yes N. lowii typically has a blunt shaped leaf. When they are small though they have more pointed leaves and as the plants get older and larger they change shape. Deffinately was one thing that had me pondering a bit also though.
T

Hmm, I'm thinking of about 5 species for this one. All I know is that it's relatively rare.

I'd have to side with the N. lowii faction
wink.gif

Andrew

Hi,

very good guesses altogether!!!

I bought this plant more than three years ago from Andreas as N. macrophylla. It was a pain to grow since then and the growth point two times developed into an undefined state. The plant did come back with a lower bud breaking dormancy. So it is still way too small for its age, but it is clearly not N. macrophylla. I do think it is a hybrid with N. lowii - So Dustin and Tony are right with N. x trusmadiensis! As George pointed out the leaf shape is wrong for N. lowii and also the pitcher shape is somewaht to bulbous. N. lowii pitcher lid's are quite flat even at a young stage - something this plant doesn't show. Also different from my other N. macrophylla is that the pitchers of this plant do colour up before opening - something my N. macrophylla does only after opening.

I discussed this plant with Andreas and he admitted, he sadly no longer has this clone in TC. He mentioned the growth defect may be due the hybrid origin of this plant. - Of course he would be very glad to replace this plant with true N. macrophylla, and get this one back... :)

For comparison pics of a similar sized N. lowii from G. Mulu growing under identical conditions:

N_lowii_Mulu_0203_A_small.jpg

N_lowii_Mulu_0203_B.jpg

N_lowii_Mulu_0203_C.jpg

In the next pot in my terrarium the mother species is grown, which looks considerable differnt:

N_macrophylla_A.jpg

Joachim

It deffinately will be interesting to see how this plant developes as it grows. I agree it is not N. macrophylla. At this stage it also looks more like a young N. lowii than a young N. x Trusmadiensis to me. I would say that if the culture was started from wild collected seed and N. macrophylla was the female parent then it must be in there. Perhaps it is just younger than the other plants I have seen and time will show more detail. I will try and get a picture or two later to show what I see as different. It would be interesting to hear from anyone else that has the clone of 'N. macrophylla'. It is always interresting what might pop up when dealing with wild seed!

Tony

I suppose I should have figured this out; I have the same
clone, I believe, which I purchased from the same source.
However, it has been a long time since the plant I have
was that size.

As it grows, some of the fine "hairs" which are associated with
N. lowii will appear on the underside of the operculum, as
one would expect.

Tony, what I have been told is that the seed for this plant
was collected from N. macrophylla, thus ensuring that
part of its parentage. You can see a picture of
a pitcher of this plant on my website:
Plants with Attitude. If you like, I can post a picture of the
entire plant.

Thanks Jeff!  I had figured the plant you have pictured is the plant in question.  Since it sure shows alot of N. lowii characteristics and N. macrophylla is the confirmed female parent then it must be N. x trusmadiensis.  What I find interesting is the differences from other N. x trusmadiensis I have seen.  I guess it can be chalked up to hybrid variation.  In this case the N. lowii being more dominant in traits.
Tony

Joachim,

now i would say the pitcher shape and lid is like the N.lowii i have from Kinabalu but the leave shape is diff. from the one i have and would say the leaf looks like a villosa.

This is an interresting little guy that showed up in some seed grown N. lowii from Trusmadi.  N. lowii is the pod parent.  Sorry no scale to go by.  It is a 5-6cm wide plant.  Pitchers are about 2cm tall.  
ntrus.jpg

Tony

It's really fascinating how many hybrids and strange forms pop up out of wild-collected seed.  Far more than appear in the wild for some reason.  in 3 trips to Mt. Trus Madi, I never managed to find a N. x trusmadiensis no matter how hard I looked.  And then all of a sudden this hybrid started appearing out of seeds of N. lowii as Tony has said.

I know how Andreas feels Joachim.  I accidentally sent several of those little chaps as N. lowii to a certain person on this forum.  When he sent me back a photograph of one of the the pitchers a little while later, I kindly offered to replace them if he were to send back the untrue plants  
biggrin.gif
For some reason though he has so far declined the offer  
tounge.gif

tounge.gif

Hey here's a photo taken last week of a "N. lowii" raised from seed that is now a permanent part of my collection
smile.gif

lowi_x.jpg

By way of comparision, here's a young pitcher of N. macrophylla:

N_macro.jpg

Rob,

That is fantastic! Seeing how macrophylla-like it is looking now, it will be really interesting when it produces upper pitchers, to see what it looks like.

Regards,

Joe

Back