What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mutated nep. ?

hey there,

New member here. I just bought a gubler's nep. from lowe's. It is like no other i have ever seen. The pitchers form with no lid at all. just a little stem where the lid should be. I was wondering if anybody has ever seen this before. I am with out access to a camera right now but i will try to get a picture up soon.
Thanks,
chris

Hi and welcome to the forums!

One thing: Are you sure it's a nep? These store brands are famous for mis-labeling their products.

Very sure it's a nep. just w/ out lids on the pitchers

In that case, it may be a mutation, but it also may be that the lids have all wilted and broken off. If you got it at lowes it no doubt hasn't been too well cared for
sad.gif

Anyway, give it a little TLC and when new pitchers develope see what happens. If you really do have a liddless mutation, cuttings from that sucker will be hotly sought after. Mutations are really cool.

I guess we can't really say with too much conviction without a picture. This is just me blowing some smoke!
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (schloaty @ April 02 2003,04:58)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Anyway, give it a little TLC and when new pitchers develope see what happens.  [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
TLC - The Learning Channel? Well the cat is out of the bag now!
tounge.gif

wink.gif
k/d

orien, nice to have you aboard the pft forums!!!
smile.gif

Travis

what shape and siz is the pitcher? What color are the pitchers? Shape of the leafs? and A pic I would love to see this. Is the pitcher browing a little where the lid should be?
wink.gif

Is it a Nepenthes ampullaria?
This is the most common Nep I can think of that makes a lid which is like a tiny stem. Here's a pic (not mine) that I found online:
tubo-utubogusa.jpeg

Hello Orien, I've seen young immature Neps form half-fommed or incomplete pitchers, such as a N. truncata from TC which develops very slowly and struggles to form a mature pitcher even under supposedly 'ideal' conditions.  If your plant is small (from Lowe's, probably so), I would be inclined to think that poor growing conditions during transport coupled with being a young plant would very easily produce an ill-formed pitcher.  You may know that pitcher development in an othewise healthy looking Nepenthes is directly affected by the more exacting cultural requirements of the particular species.

arie they look like those ones
unknown1.jpg

unknown2.jpg

Arie

Hi Orien

Welcome to the forums. I wouldn't be surprised if its just bad care. Places like that don't make the slightest effort to provide the proper care so you can get all kinds of weird looking pitchers (dried, rotten, moldy, mishapen, broken) until you get it home and take care of it properly. Once its settled in and started growing, you will probably start getting normal pitchers. If it continues to produce the same type of pitchers every time, then maybe its got some genetic problem. But I'll bet it will respond to good care. I just rescued a n. tobaica from my local greenhouse. Wish I could have taken them all. Hate seeing them sitting there with dead or damaged pitchers.

Good luck Orien.
smile.gif

Suzanne

hey there,

arie, the picture on the bottm is very similar to my new plant, all except the point that mine lacks the red coloration in the pitcher

thanks,
chris

Hi!
I found that same clone in some nurseries here in italy. After observing it a little bit more closely and wondering what the #### it was, I arrived at the conclusion that it's a N. x ventrata cultivar.

N. x ventrata became one of the most widespread Nep on sale all over the world. No surprise that the producers probably have found a mutated clone and - just for a change - produced a few millions of that specimens and tried to see if "it sells".
The leave and the rest of the pitcher is exactly the same as N. x ventrata.

Marcello

you are right it's ventrata mutant
hope soon to have some cuttings of it to trade
Arie

Hey i just bought a plant like it from lowes what type of packadging was it in? what it in the little plastic cup? or was it in the larger rectangular thing. mine was in the larger rectangular container and it had the same looking mutation but the only pitcher on it was dead (stupid Lowes) so i am wating for another pitcher to form and see if it has a lid, if it doesn't once the plant gets stronger i may give/sell some clippings

You must live int the midwest, saladshooter. The plants that come in rectangular boxes are from Botanical Wonders, and I've only seen that company in Midwestern states (Illinois, Missouri, etc.). The only ones I believe they sell are N. ventricosa, x Judith Finn, and just maybe ventrata.

ya, i live In MI, and i have bought a ventrata at my local lowe's

I've got a ventricosa red from pft - and it has the same problem. Very small lids, though the pitchers grow normally. A trick Pyro told me about is to mist the plant everyday. I still have smaller lids than normal, but they're looking better as the plant matures. You can see a typical messed-up pitcher on the bottom left of this pic.

ventricosa.jpg

here in our lowes in Atlanta, GA we get those small square plastic boxes

Mike

I saw your plant at a Gubblers pot, a very strange Nep, the same you have, i think that is a mutation.

I have found that my ventratas, alatas, and ventricosas are all very tolerant of low humidity, but once it drops below a certain point, they start forming pitchers with wilted lids similiar to some of the ones in the pictures above.

Wickedthistle: This could be why misting helped your plant.

Back