What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes truncata x veitchia

Hello all,

I'm new to the list and I have a porblem that I'm hoping someone here can help me with.

I got an N. truncata x veitchia Batu Balu in the mail about two months ago (I think the veitchii is a highlander because the pitchers have very striped peristomes). The plant is very large, about 16-18 inches in diamiter.

I potted it in a large orchid hanging basket in mainly sphagnum moss (I also soaked the roots in superthrive).
It is outside under a large umbrella (I live in Miami Fl) where I mist it several times a day. The plant is treated as a lowlander.

The problem is that the growing point has not continued to grow (it hasn't turned brown either). The plant in general seems to be very healthy and, if worse comes to worse, there are enough nodes on it to make a new growing point.

Anyone have suggestions on why it hasn't grown?

Regards, Hamata

Hi! Wecome to the forums!
smile.gif

Just moving this to the nep forum where it might get more response.

Hi hamata, N. veitchii x truncata is a slow growing hybrid. both parents are slow so let it settle in a while. I am sure it will be a beaut once it starts to grow.
smile.gif
Good luck and nice hybrid!
smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (hamata @ April 12 2003,02:48)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hello all,

I'm new to the list and I have a porblem that I'm hoping someone here can help me with.

I got an N. truncata x veitchia Batu Balu in the mail about two months ago (I think the veitchii is a highlander because the pitchers have very striped peristomes). The plant is very large, about 16-18 inches in diamiter.

I potted it in a large orchid hanging basket in mainly sphagnum moss (I also soaked the roots in superthrive).
It is outside under a large umbrella (I live in Miami Fl) where I mist it several times a day. The plant is treated as a lowlander.

The problem is that the growing point has not continued to grow (it hasn't turned brown either). The plant in general seems to be very healthy and, if worse comes to worse, there are enough nodes on it to make a new growing point.

Anyone have suggestions on why it hasn't grown?

Regards, Hamata[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
The greenness of the plant shows it is still healthy, but in shock. The nepenthes I get through the mail sometimes take up to 3 months to begin showing signs of real life. My very first one took 6 months to begin growing. Shock is the main killer of nepenthes. Keep an eye on it. Keep the humidity fairly high and the medium moist, not soaking wet. Do not allow to dry out.

Good Luck.

Hi Hamata

Different plant but when I got my truncata, it did nothing for a long time. I thought it would NEVER grow. But it finally settled in and while I wouldn't call it speedy, its definitely showing steady progress. So it just may need some more time.

Good luck!

Suzanne

hamata,

I have a truncata x vetchie as well. Gorgeous plant. I can tell you a for sure certainty. When these plants experience shock it does take a long while for them to get going again.

I live in San Antonio Texas, and keep the plant in a terrarium. Every now and again I get lazy and don't monitor conditions like I should, and the result is a drastic 'cilmate shift' usually in humidity... and the truncata X vetchie just stops growing...

The good news is that when it does start up again it will be strong and healthy.

Also, don't be suprised if the leaves actually get smaller, I wouldn't be suprised at all if it was green house raised and your outdoor conditions give you more light, smaller leaves condition. Maybe.
smile.gif

BTW, I bought mine off of Ozzy on Ebay about 2 years ago. I believe though, I could be mistaken, that Ozzy grows his stuff in his backyard in florida? you might want to get him to ring in on this.

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies so far.
I've recieved other plants in the mail before and they basicaly jumped into new growth (except two rafflesianas that died). This is the first plant I recieved that was so large. I will keep an eye on it and make sure it has high humidity.

Thanks, Hamata

Aloha,

I have several of the large N. truncata x veitchii, and yes it is a fairly slow growing plant. If you are misting it and have it in a large container, it should pull out of it just fine, especially if you got a large plant. They prefer broken light and can get very large beautiful pitchers. We put our large ones in 3 gallon pots. Good luck and hope your plant does well for you.

Kim

Hi kim,

Aloha?... I think I know who you are. I think I got my plant from you! Are you a retired sea captain?

Reagards, Jonathan Armstrong

Back