What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My nepenthes has a red leaf

Ozzy

SirKristoff is a poopiehead
Staff member
Supporter
I boght a nepenthes from a greenhose in Feb. I nursed it back to health and it's starting to pitcher. I still don't know what kind it is. One of it's new leaves is has turned reddish brown. I don't have alot of experience with nepenthes I only have four. One N.bical, two N.ventrata's and the one I bought from the green house. It gets indirect sunlight most of the day and direct sun for about two hours in the afternoon. I also have a grow light over it. The leaf was toward the window so I think it may be getting to much sun. I turned the plant so that that leaf is now away from the window. Is this something I should worry about?

No nothing to worry about. It just means your giving it good light.
biggrin.gif
smile.gif

Mike
smile.gif

well that's good to know. Only strage thig is it is only that one leaf. All of the other leaves are green.
Thanks Mike

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (0zzy @ May 05 2003,4:06)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">well that's good to know. Only strage thig is it is only that one leaf. All of the other leaves are green.
Thanks Mike[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Nepenthes x judith finn usually does that, the leaves come out red, and later on they turn green.

Spectabilis73,
That's kind of weird, judging from the first pitcher I was starting to think it may be a judith finn. I'm no where near an expert on nepenthes so I wouldn't give my guess much merrit.
The leaf didn't start out red, it's a full grown leaf with a pitcher bud on it. All the other leaves are green.
After reading what you said about the new leaves I looked at the newest leaf, which is only about two inches long, and still hasn't uncurled yet, and the underside of the leaf is red. The top is green. It's still a very small leaf. I'll keep watching it and see what it does.

So long as it's getting adequate humidity a bit of sunburn is not gonna do any damage. Howevre, if your humidity is low and it is getting very bright light the heat generated by the sunlight can burn and dry up and turn rusty brown and not so much pinkish red of a healthy sunburn.
Judith Finn will have reddish brown leaves upon opening which later turn solid green as the leaf fully expands and the tendril begins to drop and for the "hook" or "bud".

Back