What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stem Roots?

G

Hello, I'm a new member. I have a nepenthes ventricosa that I got about five months ago from Lowse. After buying it I potted it up in a fish bowl with woodland sheet moss( unfortunately). Once I found out that wasn't sphagnum, I repotted it in the right type. Now its growing quite nicely, but about two months ago, these long, hairy, root like structures started coming out of the climbing stem. Does anyone know what they are?

In a very moist environment it is possible that roots may grow out into the air around the bottom part of the stem or if some of the stem is in contact with a moist surface. They are climbing vines and capable of making roots at any point along the stem ;>
Tony

The fishbowl its in is covered with plastic rap so it gets very humid in their. That would explain the roots. Would it be a good idea to make cuttings with those roots attached?

Anyone out there?

patience.... this is not a real time forum!
smile.gif

I personally have no experience taking cuttings, so I would defer to someone with more knowledge like Gr8OZ.

My gut says yes, it would be advantageous to the plant IF the roots can handle the trasnition from epiphytic roots to terrestrial roots.

Ventricosa is very easy to take cuttings from and will root readily if the cutting has none. Sure it would help if the cutting has some roots started already.

If you do take a cutting, leave some green leaves on the bottom portion. It will recover much faster.
Tony

I would take Tony's advice. Go ahead and take a cutting, but be sure to leave something on the stem below the cutting point. The only time I remove a cutting to the base of the plant is when there is another growing point emerging elsewhere from the roots. If I'm not looking to start a new pot, I simply put the rooting stem back into the "mother" pot to fill it out a bit.

Also regarding leaving leaves on, if your plant is REALLY slow and bogged down on recovering from your taken cutting you may want to think about giving it a little Superthrive to give it a jump.
smile.gif
And once your cutting roots itself you can Superthirve that too!
smile.gif

Are you sure you want to take a cutting? Just bcs it has these roots doesn't mean you need to take a cutting. It's pretty risky...

waaaah! I'm not perceptive!

Back