What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just some current nep photos

Just an update on some of the plants.

Higlanders in the mist (the fog created when the lights come on in the morning as the air warms up)
highlandfog10-02.jpg

Here's a picture of the N. rajahs after being seperated:
nrajahsoffsets.jpg

The main plant is on the left, the offset with flourite is in the middle and the offset with laterite on the far right

The N. hamata is fianlly settling in but I think I should remove the whole soil mass from the pot and add some LFS/bark underneath so it sits above the pot and the pot doesn't impede any new growth. the pitchers are a kilelr purple color. since I took the photo two days ago the peristome is even darker. woo woo!
nhamata10-02.jpg

The N. inermis was pretty unhappy until I put it in a plastic net pot and hung it from the side of the tank. Now it's making two pitcher buds after many months of doing nothing even in correct conditions.
ninermis10-02.jpg

The N. truncata made a huge pitcher, 2 times the size of the leaf it's on and with a lot of color! Plant:
ntrunc10-02.jpg

Pitcher:
ntruncp10-02.jpg

The N. bical which had the growing top decapitated did not suffer as tragic an accident as I thought because two leaves later it's making new leafs nearly the same size look at the new growth tip I can't wiat to see it fully expanded!
nbicalrecover10-02.jpg

Thanks to Tony and you others who told me to let it recover! Whew!
smile.gif

The plants look like they are really starting to settle in and put on some good growth!

What I tell many hobby growers ... patience patience patience is absolutely necessary with Nepenthes. There's an old saying among orchid growers and it sort of applies here also..."Bad things happen quickly and good things happen slowly"
T

O yeah.. wanted to mention. I use Nickel Metalhydride batteries. You can get some 1600mhv ones from makers like rayovac, energizer etc.. all you need is a charger. A fast charger helps. They work great for digital cameras. They last much longer than throw away batteries and you can charge them when they are half dead, unlike Nickel cadnium. They don't hold a charge for more than a few days or so though. So you do need to charge them shortly before you use them... which is why I recommend the 2 hr charger if you can find it.

Be sure to check the battery as well.. it will list the mhv on it. The higher the number the more power the battery can store. I have seen more expensive ones with lower ratings.. go figure.
Tony

the plants look great. the Bical. has grown a great deal since the tip was broken off. hamata wow i will have one, one of this days. the imermis you might see a roset grow from it being tilted like that. the rajah that were seperated look in good condition but, i think they miss being together in the same pot. now you just have to tell us the secreat of how to get them to produce rosets like that being so younge of a plant. Sword you did a great job with them.

George -
I can't say I can compare to N. rajah plants in the wild to see if they do this.  I suspect however that since just about every seedling I have shows this great tendancy to make offshoots that it is a natural trait of the species.  My guess is that the plant in nature loses its main growing point on a regular basis and has adapted to recover quickly with already smaller shoots growing from the base of the plant.

Anyone with large N. rajah that can confirm it does this when near mature? It could very well be that it drops this trait as it gets larger as larger plants would be able to handle the harsh environment better than a small seedling.

Tony

Tony, that could be part of the thing that i have not repoted the plant yet and it is still in its same pot as i got it. maybe i haven't given it the room for the plant to form the offshoots but, i have only had the plant for like 2-3 months now and to compair it to other plants that i have seen picture of from here mine is alot smaller and younger.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tony Paroubek @ Oct. 29 2002,12:39)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What I tell many hobby growers ... patience patience patience is absolutely necessary with Nepenthes.  There's an old saying among orchid growers and it sort of applies here also..."Bad things happen quickly and good things happen slowly"
T[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
I wonder who applies to that Tony.  
wink.gif

BTW Josh nice pics. Rajahs and Hamata lookin good!

Hey Josh,

What is that you are growing the highlanders in? It looks like a floral cooler or something. What kind of lights are you using? The plants look great, BTW.

Joe

Really nice pics Swords!
Also a warm welcome to The Griffin! Glad to see you here at the PFT forums
smile.gif
And thanks for sharing your woes re/ the permit problems you had....sounds like you got abused on that deal...quite educational for the rest of us.

hey george-cp can you post a pic and/ or link of your rajah so I know what mine will look like when it arrives?

Spec.73,check the forum of N.Rajah growing it in florida (2) the top pic is like a day or so after i recieved it.
you might want to call Richard also it's toll free. if you have any questions.

Back